Security Installer Community

How Secure Is Gsm ?

Will M

thats the last we'll see of happy then..

You could easily listen in to any GSM phone call years ago when they were analogue - you could buy good quality receiver for around

hi all

forget all the fancy expensive gear needed to listen in on phone calls, my 'ruling half' knows what i've said way before i have even thought of what i'd say when i eventually said it :cold2:

that sort of 20/20 reception starts with a wedding - and a joint bank account :ninja:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

...GSM phone call years ago when they were analogue...

:question:

naturally GSM, CSD, GPRS, 3G, etc. are transported over analog link nowadays aswell but i can't understand that you say gsm WAS analogue..

• 7 months later...

i recon you must be nosey buggers if you want listern to other peoples phone calls mind you it would be prity cool to have a listern and see what other people are up 2.

But then it is an offence to tap calls without a court warrent even though mobile signals are transmitted over the airwaves even if scrammbled.

And if its your partner your wanting to check up on the best way is get a sim reader that allows you to look at deleted text messages there avilable widely on the web but the question i ask do you really want to know what you find out??????

and all the above posts will have been scanned as well

:sofa1:

I think GSM uses a set of algorythim "keys" which I am sure are known to goverment agencies the world over, I wasn't aware that GSM was a frequency hopping mode Arfur? That used to be military/goverment only but it is more comman now I know but I thought GSM was the same standard it was when launched way back 1990/91 ish. If you still have an original GSM phone it should still work?

Any how, a conversation on GSM to a landline is unsecure to anybody that can wire a phone socket isin't it?

GSM to GSM would require a base cell computer with the relevent algorythim keys to decode it all, I think it's safe to say that you won't get listened in on that way!

Remember the UK is one of the only countrys in the world that does not allow phone taps as evidence in court, that may soon change unless it already did and I missed it!

Keyword filtering is going to be looking for someones name, a place name under observation, a number read out, it has to be specific otherwise the system would be overwhelmed in no time, remember a human being has to check "every" flagged call, there's only so many spooks.....

The large bases in the UK, Menwith, Morwenstow etc are mostly American, I used to contract at one of them (Never signed the act as I was seventeen!!) and learned a little bit...who's that at the door?

:rolleyes:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

• 1 year later...

Archived