Security Installer Community

Cctv Lens Advice

Guest advancesecurity

Guest advancesecurity

Hello Martin here from advance security (west yorks), have difficulty figuring out which lens to use with our typical cameras (bosch ltc0455/11) we have been cheating by using vari-focal lenses, i would prefer to use a fixed lens as they dont creep out of focus over time, and are cheaper/shorter which means we can use a smaller housing, if anyone has a system of calculating the correct lens for a specific application, your advice would be much appreciated, also the word aperture is a word i dont understand too well! Thanks.

Martin

As mentioned above it is always better to go with a fixed lens option for a number of reasons including light levels etc!

Have you tried to speak to the manufacturer of your camera to see which lenses they have as a preferred supplier.... ultimately speak to them and ask them for a lens guide.

If you purchase enough through them I am sure they will be only too happy to even send you a selection of typical lenses, 3.6,8,12 and 16mm typically for you to try out.

I understand what you mean about the variable lens option, but remember not to give your customer too many options either or else you will e forever changing it !!! Unless you can sell them a PTZ on the back of it !!!!

Hope that helps

Billy

Solutions4CCTV

Keeping an eye on your property

Hello Martin here from advance security (west yorks), have difficulty figuring out which lens to use with our typical cameras (bosch ltc0455/11) we have been cheating by using vari-focal lenses, i would prefer to use a fixed lens as they dont creep out of focus over time, and are cheaper/shorter which means we can use a smaller housing, if anyone has a system of calculating the correct lens for a specific application, your advice would be much appreciated, also the word aperture is a word i dont understand too well! Thanks.

aperture simply means hole!

in relation to lenses its how much light can pass through the iris

ve hav ze nolij or if not we ask!!!!

as a 'rule of thumb' car parks, playgrounds 3.6mm, passages/alleys 6 or perhaps 12mm on a longer passage.

as always, it just depends what your client actually wants to see, or worse what they think they will see.

to combat this problem, i use the camera on my smart phone to take a 'pot shot' which is equiviqllqnt to a 3.6mm lens, and i can then show them. i exsplain it is not an exact representation but a good idea of what they will actually see.

if they are happy i go with it. if not i can say that they will see approximately that area but with larger 'targets' pro rata depending on the lens, but always offer to swap it out within a month f.o.c. if they are not happy.

using the phone camera gets you arround the usual request to see number plates and a whole football field clearly all on one camera :rolleyes:

i then print these images into the estimate to save any arguments later on, just because i hate arguing as all well know :ninja: .

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived