Security Installer Community

Learning ?

uski

Ok guys, I have upset some of you with my, err, let's say "stupid" post about engineer codes a few weeks ago. So this time I'll try to make an intelligent post.

I have a great interest in alarm systems and I would like to learn the common practices of the industry. I suppose that the first thing that you respect (as qualified professionnal) are regulations. Where can I find them ?

I have read a lot of alarms user manuals, and I'm starting to have a good idea of the possible options that a domestic alarm system offers. But in which ways does a retail/industry alarm system differ ? I suppose it is the kind of info I would get from some regs.

I do not expect to get so called "trade secrets" here (if any). I just want to know more to be able to participate more in this forum.

I know that a good idea would be that I get hired as a trainee somewhere, but I do not have time for this. I simply do not want to become a profesionnal installer, I just want to improve my knowledge.

I do not ask for information that is not public. I understand that for security reasons some information has to be kept secret (defaulting instructions for example). I am simply not interested in these "how to do XXX for panel YYY" stuff, just knowing that a system can be defaulted is enough for me, as it's only the therorical aspects and principles that interest me for now.

Any info for me ? What is the first thing you learn to your trainees ?

Let me be your virtual trainee ! :P

..and I hope that this topic will not degenerate ! :nuke: I just want to learn.

uski

Any info for me ? What is the first thing you learn to your trainees ?

Let me be your virtual trainee !

..and I hope that this topic will not degenerate ! I just want to learn.

uski

RULE NO: 1

Stick the kettle on i will have a black coffee :new_rofl:

lee

Lee Sutton

E-Mail: leesutton@centurianfire.co.uk

Phone: 0845 094 9870

CENTURIAN FIRE & SECURITY (part of centurian group limited)

RULE No:2

Get in that loft and fetch my cables....

...Call me when the joint is 1st fixed :P

You would do well to learn cable running techniques first of all..

Then buy a panel and mess with it!

You would do well to learn cable running techniques first of all..

I know them ! :P

Then buy a panel and mess with it!

I'll do that when I'll have read enough materials ;) (regs, ...)

uski

Guest Alarm Guard

If you really want to learn all the regs, you will need to buy them from British Standards or from an organisation offering British and European standards, like this one:

http://global.ihs.com/standards.cfm?RID=Z5...dards|343521622

Many (if not all) members of this forum have these standards, but we have bought them and it is not permitted to make copies.

Many (if not all) members of this forum have these standards, but we have bought them and it is not permitted to make copies.

You can read them in a public library (uk anyway)

I didn't know that. Mr Happy - 1. Alarm Guard - 0. :angry:

usally the main public library in fair sized town, if i recall right red type on black page to try and prevent photocopying.

Any way you all need a copy of the relivant standards to show you comply with the standards you claim and when the tsi site meet up we can all beat alan with rolled up copies I'll be using BS 7671 as its the thickest of the relivant doc's that is unless someones knows something thicker???

usally the main public library in fair sized town, if i recall right red type on black page to try and prevent photocopying.

Any way you all need a copy of the relivant standards to show you comply with the standards you claim and when the tsi site meet up we can all beat alan with rolled up copies I'll be using BS 7671 as its the thickest of the relivant doc's that is unless someones knows something thicker???

Hmm.....

I guess you, Mr Happy, like everyone else, overlooked the location of uski - Paris, France! :'(

Archived