Security Installer Community

Help On New System

oddjob

I currently have an old self-installed hard wired alarm system at home ... usual kit ... control panel/several PIR zones/one final exit & entry magnetic door contact/full anti tamper/external SCB sirens and so on.

The thing is I want to rip the whole lot out, ditch the cables and start again with a wireless kit. I'm fed up with running cables all over the house (you know the feeling!).

I've read that shop bought kits (e.g. the Yale HSA3600 system stocked at Homebase stores) are on UHF short range frequencies leading to false alarms and unreliability. The preferred wireless choice (apparently) is for a system built round VHF transmission/reception for more stability, fewer false alarms and less problems with interference.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Any suggestions for a good wireless kit and/or places to go to buy it?

Many thanks in advance for all your help.

OJ

Generally speaking a wireless system is inferior to a wired one, i doubt anyone could claim otherwise except where cable running is not practical.

If the cables are there why rip them out?

Thanks Ian. more or less guessed that. It's why I put a wired system in first time reound.

Trouble is the cables have grown along with the 3 extentions we've had built on the house over the years. The cable are somewhat unsightly as they run along cornices etc. Also what was once a big enough system - 4 zone control panel - has become too small for the growing house. I now have more than one PIR on each zone. Not ideal. I need a bigger panel. Not only that but something is malfunctioning somewhere in the system such that, even after fully arming, nothing will trigger an alarm condition or cause the SCBs to fire up. Not even anti tamper. All a bit of a mess really. Need starting again, I guess, but I just don't have the enthusiasm I had for all this when I first installed it many years ago. I'm older and a lot less fitter! Maybe I should get it professionally installed.

Any suggestions for a good installer? Too far away from you, I'm afraid, Ian. I'm on the south east/south west London border.

Thanks again.

Guest Dobbin

Oddjob

The name's DOBBIN not bobbin :rolleyes:

And the information above was straight from the horses mouth (beat you to it ian!) :D

i was talking to a group of scottish engineers the other day, and they fitted nothing less then the scantronics wireless system. said they had fitted many and had no problems. Sorry i forgot it number but i am sure someone on here will be able to point you in the right direction.

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Thanks kka. I had made a note to look into scantronics systems but not taken it any further.

If you (or anyone else) knows of any specific model numbers etc. for a scantronic 8 to 10 zone wireless home system I'd be grateful for suggestions.

Meantime I'll check out the web and see what turns up.

Thanks again. cheers

Archived