Security Installer Community

Ir Illumination

Guys

Looking for a bit of advice..

Just been awarded a big school to camera up, its a very old school with hardly any light for the external cameras, there are 16 external cameras which all require IR Lighting, i normally power these locally using 240 v Floods, but due to the building this i not pratical and will have to power them all from one area which is where the equipment is going to sit..

The problem i am having is that there are already 29 cameras going in the Caretakers office with 2 X 16 way power supplys, i have never used the 12v IR Floods versions to which i will go for in this installations but i cannot find a power supply big enough to take that many Floods with the output of about 1.4 amps per channel...

Any advice please would be great

Speak to Elmedene or Dantec.

Fit a Sarell box and use individual PSU's component board PSU's and mount a load of them in the box, you will need to allow for ventilation. You will also have to consider voltage drop over cables etc.

I would also look at mounting PSU's not neccesarilly in the camera location, but scatttered throughout the building maybe next to the main distribution boards, I would avoid having all the PSU's in one location though.

Speak to Elmedene or Dantec.

Fit a Sarell box and use individual PSU's component board PSU's and mount a load of them in the box, you will need to allow for ventilation. You will also have to consider voltage drop over cables etc.

I would also look at mounting PSU's not neccesarilly in the camera location, but scatttered throughout the building maybe next to the main distribution boards, I would avoid having all the PSU's in one location though.

Thanks for the tip i will look into this

I am trying to avoid psu's in one location but i don't think i can due to the layout of the building..

Never had to install more than 5 IR's before so 16 is a nightmare, the local council wont allow lights on the listed building, but have allowed the cctv cameras ..weird..

I agree with Alex, aside from the risk of using the wrong cable to carry for 1.4A+, the IR lamp's photocell is often located on the PSU.

The cable required (and I'm no spark), I guess, would be as thick as mains flex anyway. Don't forget that if you send mains instead of 24Vac, there'll be 10 times less current drawn. I=V/R

Thanks Guys

Having spoken to Derwent, they say the same as you, the IR's have to be powered local to the camera, which is causing a massive headache due to the layout of the building, however if your gonna do a job do it properly i say.

Thanks for the advice, guys

I don't get it? You would of had to of got a cable to the camera head anyway, so what difference does it make whether its 24v or 240v? Use FP200 for a nice job, want to subb the job out? :P

I don't get it? You would of had to of got a cable to the camera head anyway, so what difference does it make whether its 24v or 240v? Use FP200 for a nice job, want to subb the job out? :P

:huh:

You're taking the mick, right?

Thats the point the initial post was to see if anyone had an alternative to this solution, i did not want to run 240v to 16 cameras i wanted to run it all in 12v, but that is not possible, however the alternative is to take power locally at 5 different points and create some small mains circuits to power the 16 IR's.

Archived