Security Installer Community

Ir Illumination

Ok, I think all IR manufacturers want you to put the PSU right next to the lamp, they all say 'don't extend the cable' I did however do this on my last job & with the lamp on I put a meter on the other end and there wasn't any vault drop, but that was only extending it by 4 meters & I used 2.5mm cable.

One thing that has just accrued to me, the MF100 LED lamps by Derwent can be run on either 12v or 24V AC or DC & you can use a third party PSU. If you ran them on 24Vac & used 4 core 2.5mm flex (2 cores for the camera & housing, 2 cores for the IR lamp) That might do it, you would have to work out the distance & work the vault drop over 2.5mm flex but I would suspect, being a LED product it would be OK, once you know what voltage you will have @ 24v @ the IR lamp position, Email Derwent and see if you will still get the performance at that voltage....You may find that with 24v over 2.5mm cable the vault drop will be minimal.

If you need help working out the vault drop, drop me a PM.

Ok, I think all IR manufacturers want you to put the PSU right next to the lamp, they all say 'don't extend the cable' I did however do this on my last job & with the lamp on I put a meter on the other end and there wasn't any vault drop, but that was only extending it by 4 meters & I used 2.5mm cable.

One thing that has just accrued to me, the MF100 LED lamps by Derwent can be run on either 12v or 24V AC or DC & you can use a third party PSU. If you ran them on 24Vac & used 4 core 2.5mm flex (2 cores for the camera & housing, 2 cores for the IR lamp) That might do it, you would have to work out the distance & work the vault drop over 2.5mm flex but I would suspect, being a LED product it would be OK, once you know what voltage you will have @ 24v @ the IR lamp position, Email Derwent and see if you will still get the performance at that voltage....You may find that with 24v over 2.5mm cable the vault drop will be minimal.

If you need help working out the vault drop, drop me a PM.

Thanks Alexg

I have already spoken to Derwent in regards to this and they say that yes it is possible but i must make sure that the voltage stays around the 500ma and does not go above 550ma, but doing it this way will invalidate the warrenty..

Running the mini ring mains is the best option here, it will add a couple of days to the install but for reliability its the only real way...

Thanks again for the help

Paul

Archived