Security Installer Community

Alarm Engineer Job Advice

Hello all I am new to the site and what a great site this is.

well I need some help I am wanting to be an alarm engineer,can not find a way in to the Profession,been to careers offices and college but no luck. I have even tried to do a placement and went to a local company explained what I know about alarms they were quite shocked but were not Taking any one on I am 28 and I really want to be a alarm engineer I have a full clean driving licence. Problem is I just don

Hello mate,

If you dont mind me asking what do you do at the moment, do you have any background in electrical or simlar. :)

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

Hi thank you for your reply at the moment I work in a shopping centre on a security team. I did attend college once doing an electricians corse but never finished it due to wrong advice by college hope this helps

Hello Gareth,

In my opinion willingness and common sense are far more worthwhile than qualifications, however formal qualifications will be necessary at some point in the near future, you may have to take a drop in pay in the interim but you will reap the benefits as there is a great shortage of quality engineers in this industry. Keep trying and be persistant, good luck.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Thank you for your reply norman I am wanting a job in the alarm trade more than anything just real trying to work out where to start as at the moment all my job i do now just puts the food on the table.I was reading somewhere some companys hire workers mates to feed wires and stuff may be I could start there if any one has any where that does alarm training in the north east of engerland or even a bit futhera field please let me know thanks :)

If I wanted to do a particular job, and I knew I was capable, nothing would stop me.

Paul

The police stopped me practicing gynaecology.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

hi I think I will right a letter even if i only help out one day a week I like circuits and am ok with problems and know how circuits work I didd go to a company and the person there was wondering how i know what i know but its strange I just do even from a young age I loved alarm system

:)

You may have more luck trying the smaller companys, some subcontract to the nationals & may give you a start helping out with installations. You should still send your CV & covering letter to every size company that covers Durham.

Good luck.

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

Archived