Security Installer Community

New To Alarm Wiring

tom25

Guest rjbsec
Its very worrying when we get such basic questions in the DIY area, and your question couldnt get much more worrying.

Are you sure that really should be taking on work of this nature if you dont have the basics?

The loft is not the best place to put a control panel either, as the loft is subject to extreme tempurature changes(not good for the printed circuit board) and if it catch's fire ( going by your question its highly possible) you wont know about it till its too late, and lastly from a service engineers point of veiw its a pain in the neck.

My reply is not aimed as an insult, just ask yourself the question am I really competant do do this task?

Pete

Sound advice.

• 2 months later...

[if the loft is not safe, then why do they put TV amplifiers in the loft and they do get hot, as for fire's in the loft, well what about low voltage lighting installed by DIYers without hoods, bathroom extractor fan's etc etc

A panel in the loft is as safe as the installer placing it in the loft.

Guest rjbsec

A panel in the loft is nothing short of a nuisance to the maintaining engineer irrespective of any possible risk of its being there.

With some of the temperatures reached in loft, you would be lucky if your battery lasted more than a year so yearly replacement of battery might be needed.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

With some of the temperatures reached in loft, you would be lucky if your battery lasted more than a year so yearly replacement of battery might be needed.

Whilst on RMVs a while back for another company, many of there systems in domestics had the end station in the airing cupboard, the batts tended to need changing every three years, so temp does fry them quicker, but I think an airing cupboard would be warmer than a loft if the cylinder is full of hot water.

Also Many Bungalows have the end station in the loft, its more common practice than you would think.

Archived