Security Installer Community

Panic Buttons

paul1471

I have currently got 2 single push panic buttons that are self resetable i want to upgrade them to double push latching buttons that need to be reset with a key. I have looked inside the PA in the hall and it has 2 wires one black and one red would i be able to swap them as i have looked inside at a picture of a double push and there seems to be a lot of wireing screws the one i have currently got only has 2 screws to connect wires please can somebody help?

They are the same connections, Put your black and red across the reed switch. :)

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

They are the same connections, Put your black and red across the reed switch. :)

ditto to PJF, the other 'brass' screws are simply for through connections, or for some panels which use resistors. the chrome stripe (if fitted) is for antitamper use, but if only 2 wires going direct reed (no resisters) then this is not used.

regs

arfur_mo

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Has some body got a picture of the wiring diagram for a double push PA thanks

Has some body got a picture of the wiring diagram for a double push PA thanks

its the same as a single push before drinking a bottle of whiskey :whistle:

the reed is across the chrome screws.

regs

arfur_mo

its the same as a single push before drinking a bottle of whiskey :whistle:

the reed is across the chrome screws.

regs

arfur_mo

If you link the panic button to an alarm system when it locks down if you put the code in at the panel will it continue to sound until you reset it with the key?

If you link the panic button to an alarm system when it locks down if you put the code in at the panel will it continue to sound until you reset it with the key?

normally the code will stop the siren, but if you try to fully reset the alarm before resetting the panic button with the key then the alarm will re-sound.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

no, not on the later panels, silencing the bells on a correct code being inserted (anyone remember Munford & White panels?).

on the more common LED indicated panels you will normlly see a 'P' or 'PA' or a dedicated LED illuminated. you will not be able to 'SET' your system untill you 'reset' the PAB with the supplied key, this is not a Chubb Lock so use gentle care.

it may seem strange that you actually need to use a simple key rather than a spring loaded reset. the reason for this is so the client has a mechanical confirmation of which button was pressed (more so if several buttons are on a single zone). early systems used simple recessed non-latching bell pushes. this often led to arguments as no one would own up, and the client would argue that nobody has pressed the buttons.

i like to demonstartate this on hand-overs, by saying that the user has 2 bites of the cherry -: button is pressed and angel child denies all knowledge, so owner can belt the kid for lying, as well as for touching the button in the 1st place - bliss :P .

before re-assembling your new button make sure to blow out andy dust or debre'e and make sure all cables are clear of the key area, or it may work as a single push pab. give the screws which hol the slide a tighten to make it a bit former to press.

regs

arfur_mo

Archived