Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CR Alarms

Bellbox piezo drive circuit

3 posts in this topic

Hi all, I have a question for you experts, something I have been wondering for a while,What voltages do the piezo's run at in the bellboxes? and are they a shock hazard? On many bellboxes I fit I notice the piezo's are connected to a small transformer on the pcb, (at least I think its a transformer it certainly looks like one). When the sounder is operated I notice the voltage pen lights up red around the cables to the piezo's. I know the xenon strobe circuit is definitely a shock hazard (High voltage strobe capacitor and trigger transformer). 

Do the piezo's run at high voltage when sounding and are they shock hazard? 

Just curious, thanks

Piezo speaker drivers are generally driven from a supply of 2-5V. Within the driver oscillator circuit this is normally increased upto 30V to increase the volume output. Although implementation of electronics and components may vary by manufacturer.

They should not be a shock hazard like the strobe circuit would be, although I am certainly not recommending you poke components within your favourite brand of glowy flashy thing.

Posted (edited)

Thanks :), don't worry I have no intention poking around inside the components. I had a pretty nasty belt  from a strobe once some years ago,NOT NICE! I put it down to inexperience, luckily the bellbox wasn't too high up. cheers

Edited by CR Alarms