Security Installer Community

Gardtech 800 woes

Hi all

I am trying to problem solve a problem on a Gardtech 800 alarm system for a customer.  There are two key pads that both appear to be dead function wise apart from an orange light on one which is a wallet sized number pad and a green back light on a larger number panel.  

I have checked the following.  

Mains to control panel.

correct output from transformer.

the battery is new and knocking out a healthy 13V

the keyboard outputs on the PCb are also 13V

the pcb is also has a steady 13V input. 

I have removed the keypads and confirmed they have 13v power supply.

i have removed the fuses on the main board and confirmed all of them are functional.

the keypad screens are all blank despite the orange light on one and green tinge on the other.  Buttons do nothing.  Screens show nothing. 

We we have a had a few power outages recently and wondered if maybe we had suffered some power spikes or surges that might have affected the circuits.  Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks 

Pete

Edited by Monty Electrics

Sounds like its beyond repair, lots of things it could be try wiring one of the keypads staight into the panel diss any existing keypad wires. If this works then you have a problem with one of the cables to the rkps. If it doesnt fix it then change the panel

1 minute ago, Monty Electrics said:

Meaning? It is bug()£& and a new system is the best solution?

It probably is buggered, try the rkp on a short wire direct into the panel and see,  It is hard to say based on what you have said, but it has to be over ten years old they stopped making them 10 years ago, theyre no longer supported, I would have replaced it already.

I have kind of worked out the cost in my head for faffing about trying to work out what is up with this system to maybe end up fixing it with some aged new part scrounged off the internet or a second hand part to end up with a working 15 year old system.  The customer I think is kind of resigned to replacing it. 

35 minutes ago, Monty Electrics said:

I have kind of worked out the cost in my head for faffing about trying to work out what is up with this system to maybe end up fixing it with some aged new part scrounged off the internet or a second hand part to end up with a working 15 year old system.  The customer I think is kind of resigned to replacing it. 

Long gone are the days of identifying components and replacing them.  Cost of new panel versus cost of labour time, price of a new panel wins hands down every time. I would still check the keypad cables first though, there is nothing worse than replacing a system only to find that the new panel has the same fault as the old one