Security Installer Community

Analogx Proxy Setup

colin32

I have just installed analogx proxy server so that I can share my broadband connection, however, as my cable modem connects via TCP/IP using DHCP, how do I configure the proxy server to use TCP/IP as well?If I enter IP 192.168.0.1 on the host pc, I lose my cable internet connection.

That would be because your cable modem is set to 192.168.0.1. Use another IP address in the 192.168.0.xxx range, preferably high (e.g. 254) as any other PC's connected will get an address from the CM which will probably dish out .2 - .254 so you will get double addresses if you set your static IP's low.

That would be because your cable modem is set to 192.168.0.1. Use another IP address in the 192.168.0.xxx range, preferably high (e.g. 254) as any other PC's connected will get an address from the CM which will probably dish out .2 - .254 so you will get double addresses if you set your static IP's low.

If my broadband cable modem connects using ethernet with a DHCP assigned IP address, does this mean I can't network the same pc to another pc and hence use a proxy server such as AnalogX to share the connection.

If my broadband cable modem connects using ethernet with a DHCP assigned IP address, does this mean I can't network the same pc to another pc and hence use a proxy server such as AnalogX to share the connection.

Pardon?

You can do it if you use static addressing on your PC's, or at least on your internet facing one. Set the one running AnalogX to 192.168.0.254 and then everything else should work fine. When using proxy servers I tend to use static IP addressing though so I'd set your second PC as 192.168.0.253, just so we know where we are.

On a slightly different tangent, and bearing in mind I don't do much with cable connections, could you not get yourself a router? This would provide you with some additional security and it would also get around the proxy problem as I'm not a fan of these unless used as a temporary measure\last resort.

Pardon?

You can do it if you use static addressing on your PC's, or at least on your internet facing one. Set the one running AnalogX to 192.168.0.254 and then everything else should work fine. When using proxy servers I tend to use static IP addressing though so I'd set your second PC as 192.168.0.253, just so we know where we are.

Can I assume then that the internet pc needs 2 network cards, one for the internet connection and one for the LAN bearing in mind the cable modem connects via ethernet.

Can I assume then that the internet pc needs 2 network cards, one for the internet connection and one for the LAN bearing in mind the cable modem connects via ethernet.

I was wondering about that too..............

Mr Colin32 could you describe how this is all wired up, e.g.

What cable service and modem type

How PC connects to cable modem

How other PC's connect to main PC

Proxy servers are far from an ideal solution. :whistle:

You should be able to do it with a single network card, 2 would probably be easier though. Try it, see what happens, I've only ever used AnalogX for dialup sharing or temporarily for USB modems and ADSL before fitting routing equipment.

One thing I forgot to mention in my original posts, set the default gateway on the 2nd machine to 192.168.0.254 and the subnet to 255.255.255.0.

Have you read the AnalogX readme.txt, I've found that has a good guide for setting it up.

I was wondering about that too..............

Mr Colin32 could you describe how this is all wired up, e.g.

What cable service and modem type

How PC connects to cable modem

How other PC's connect to main PC

Proxy servers are far from an ideal solution. :whistle:

PC1 connects to Telewest with Webstar cable modem using ethernet nic card and cat5 lead.

PC1 has AnalogX proxy server installed

PC2 connects to PC1 using crossover cat 5 lead

PC1 is set to obtain IP address automatically and obtain DNS server address automatically.

PC1 has the IP 80.x.x.x with SM 255.255.255.0 assigned by DHCP.

Setting the IP manually with the settings already suggested loses my internet connection.

The analogx text file, although very informative does not address my problem.

I could simply connect my internet connection using USB which will free up my nic card for the LAN but then my speed plummets to a quarter of the speed I get with using ethernet.

I think the only way is another nic card in the internet facing pc with 2 TCP/IP configs.

So you must already have 2 NIC cards then if PC1 is cnnected to the modem and PC2 simultaneously?

Easiest way, buy a router. Cheapest way, fit another NIC on PC1.

So you must already have 2 NIC cards then if PC1 is cnnected to the modem and PC2 simultaneously?

Easiest way, buy a router. Cheapest way, fit another NIC on PC1.

Totally agree, buy a router there's no point in wasting time banghead

And then you don't need PC1 on to use PC2.

AND the performance, especially of PC2 will be a lot better.

Routers are pretty cheap - from

Archived