Security Installer Community

Connect Into My Dvr Via The Internet

Alex

hi,

I have got an internet broadband connection. Unfortunately the IP-Address is not static but changes a lot (as far as I know a static one would cost a fortune). Is there any way to remotely view recorded stuff on my networkable DVR? I have got a router at home if this helps. :hmm:

btw: I have seen a service (www.dyndns.com) which allows to keep a hostname, e.g. dvrathome.domainname.com pointing at my changing IP-Address at home. Therefore I have to download a small program onto my computer. Is this perhaps a way to do this?

Many thanks for your help in advance!

Alex

cheers,

Alex

hi,

I have got an internet broadband connection. Unfortunately the IP-Address is not static but changes a lot (as far as I know a static one would cost a fortune). Is there any way to remotely view recorded stuff on my networkable DVR? I have got a router at home if this helps. :hmm:

btw: I have seen a service (www.dyndns.com) which allows to keep a hostname, e.g. dvrathome.domainname.com pointing at my changing IP-Address at home. Therefore I have to download a small program onto my computer. Is this perhaps a way to do this?

Many thanks for your help in advance!

Alex

Yes your right, but the pc has to be online 24/7, what make is your router, some routers have this software program built into its firmware, log onto your router and browse the console menu, i know linksys and netgear usually have embedded dynamic dns services.

Watchdog Security (Manchester)

Unfortunately the IP-Address is not static but changes a lot (as far as I know a static one would cost a fortune).

Not true. For some ISP's it's free, for other a few quid a month.

If your router doesn't support Dynamic DNS then it's probably cheaper , and certainly easier in the long run, to pay for fixed IP or switch to an ISP that does it relatively cheaply.

As someone said in another thread DDNS is like forwarding mail when you move house, OK as a short-term fix but not an ideal long-term solution. :)

Who is your Broadband ISP anyway?

Ideally you should also have a fixed IP at the viewing location, then you can tie up security in the router so that no-one else can try to hack in!

..., to pay for fixed IP or switch to an ISP that does it relatively cheaply.

Actually ISP are prohibited to gather money for static IP's..

(they just tie static IP's to some service classes or so to be able to do that..)

Not true. For some ISP's it's free, for other a few quid a month.

If your router doesn't support Dynamic DNS then it's probably cheaper , and certainly easier in the long run, to pay for fixed IP or switch to an ISP that does it relatively cheaply.

As someone said in another thread DDNS is like forwarding mail when you move house, OK as a short-term fix but not an ideal long-term solution. :)

Who is your Broadband ISP anyway?

Ideally you should also have a fixed IP at the viewing location, then you can tie up security in the router so that no-one else can try to hack in!

My ISP is BT and my router is a BT Voyager 2100. I did not find the DDNS-Service in the configuration unfortunately. But many thanks anyway.

cheers,

Alex

My ISP is BT and my router is a BT Voyager 2100. I did not find the DDNS-Service in the configuration unfortunately. But many thanks anyway.

Have another look :whistle:

"The last option under the Virtual Server section is support for Dynamic DNS, which has support for two providers, DynDNS.org and TZO.com. Both of these services provide a domain name that will map to your current ISP assigned IP address, which allows people with a dynamic IP address to make any services they run easily accessible" Quote from the ADSL guide web site http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/revie...voyager2100.asp

Guest intikab

What setup are you using?

If you have DDNS set up either via the router or on your PC then the main thing is to ensure you set up port forwarding on the router (you will have to check your DVR manual for the relevant port settings) and allow the ports on your firewall. If you do not have a firewall - GET ONE! Zone Alarm is free and pretty good.

The rest should be plain sailing.

Guest bainsy

trouble is that a dynamic dns will only be useful if your dvr uses a web based browser and not viewer software as the software always asks for an ip address not dns name!

trouble is that a dynamic dns will only be useful if your dvr uses a web based browser and not viewer software as the software always asks for an ip address not dns name!

But it only takes a moment to resolve that - e.g. with tracert.

Archived