Security Installer Community

Veritas 8 - can't reset after tamper alert

Guest country_bumpkin

Guest country_bumpkin

We don't normally set our Veritas 8 alarm at night, mainly because we don't really understand it and are worried about triggering it accidentally! The other night, we were woken up by a low buzzing sound, which turned out to be the control panel downstairs alerting us to an alleged tamper incident. The source was apparently the living room PIR, although there was no sign whatsoever of any problem. We managed to switch off the buzzer but have since been unable to reset the alarm fully. All three lights (Tamper, Unset, Power) on the control panel are permanently on and there's nothing in the instruction manual about resetting after a tamper alert. Can anyone help? We're currently alarm-less and too broke to afford an engineer.

Thanks in advance,

Country Bumpkin

The source was apparently the living room PIR, although there was no sign whatsoever of any problem

Why do you think it was the pir , was a zone displayed as well as the tamper?.Was the alarm set at the time?.Have you pressed reset , and is the keypad still responding to key presses?. :wacko:

Guest country_bumpkin

Thanks, FASTCAR. I forgot to mention that when the tamper alarm went off, the light came on for zone 5, the living room PIR. No, the alarm was not set at the time. We only set it when we're out. We have pressed reset but nothing seems to happen. The three lights stay on (normally only the Power light's on) and the control panel just bleeps at us when we try to set the alarm in the normal way.

Doesn't sound quite right , a tamper alarm and a zone alarm when unset .Has the battery been changed in the last 5 years ? if not then it could be dead , putting a load on the CPU .If you are confident , you could try to reboot it (mains off ,cover open , battery off , mains on , wait till beeping starts , then enter your code , replace cover ) if all is well purchase new battery and replace!.Voila.

If you have any doupts , post back , or get the yellow pages out. :rolleyes:

note : battery is usually the big heavy thing sitting on the bottom shelf.

If needed , factory default code = 4.3.2.1

Best of luck.

Guest country_bumpkin

Thanks yet again, FASTCAR.

Eeek, though, that sounds scary. I didn't even know it had a battery. (Shows just how stupid I am.) The alarm's probably about 5 years old so it could well be that it needs changing. Can someone as daft as I am really attempt this myself? How much do you reckon an engineer would charge to sort the problem out?

CB

• 3 years later...
Doesn't sound quite right , a tamper alarm and a zone alarm when unset .Has the battery been changed in the last 5 years ? if not then it could be dead , putting a load on the CPU .If you are confident , you could try to reboot it (mains off ,cover open , battery off , mains on , wait till beeping starts , then enter your code , replace cover ) if all is well purchase new battery and replace!.Voila.

If you have any doupts , post back , or get the yellow pages out. :rolleyes:

note : battery is usually the big heavy thing sitting on the bottom shelf.

If needed , factory default code = 4.3.2.1

Best of luck.

Hi, sorry to but in but I have a similar problem to this with the tamper light on. I could try what you are saying and reboot but when would I reconnect the battery then?

How do you omit a zone then please?

It should be described in the User Manual for your alarm.

If you don't have one tell us what make/model it is and hopefully someone can point you in the right direction.

There are loads of (user) manuals on here already so please try searching before asking.

Archived