Security Installer Community

Taking Over An Intruder Alarm System

clivesorts

Hi everyone

I have just come across this forum and it has been very good reading through the posts.

I am new to this forum. I run a company in North London and hoped that someone would be able to help me on a quirey.

For an NSI NACOSS company when taking over an Intruder alarm system, whether it be audible or on comms, does the property need risk assessing and upgraded to PD6662 or can it be done to BS 4737 DD243 : 2004 ??

Thank you

Regards

clivesorts

For an NSI NACOSS company when taking over an Intruder alarm system, whether it be audible or on comms, does the property need risk assessing and upgraded to PD6662 or can it be done to BS 4737 DD243 : 2004 ??

Thank you

Regards

clivesorts

It depends on what type of system you are taking over, are they on police response, have they lost their URN, does the customer want a certificate etc etc

BS4737 and DD243:2004 are two different standards, also PD6662:2004 calls up DD243:2004.

If you are NSI then you should have a copy of NSI014/05 which covers most of this. :yes:

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

It depends on what type of system you are taking over, are they on police response, have they lost their URN, does the customer want a certificate etc etc

BS4737 and DD243:2004 are two different standards, also PD6662:2004 calls up DD243:2004.

If you are NSI then you should have a copy of NSI014/05 which covers most of this. :yes:

Thanks for your reply J Paul.

Reagrds

clivesorts

Jpaul is correct, if the urn is lost then the system needs to be updated, if the urn exists then you need to make sure the system is at least confirming for level 1 response.

Pete

Hi Pete

Thanks for your reply.

Regarding upgrading systems that have had their URN deleted, that senario is straight forward because it would have to be upgraded to PD6662 & DD243 : 2004 so as to obtain a new URN.

My main query is for bells only systems, for example, the system is 3 years old, a few PIRs etc.. Customer wants to add a couple of PIRs and may want to take out a maintenance contract with us. If the customer has no insurance implications then we can go in, add the extra PIRs & not have the need to upgrade to the new standards ? The customer may of had their original system fitted to BS 4737 a few years ago, obtained a NACOSS certificate from the installers( if approved co. ).

The problems we want to avoid is having to go & survey these new bells only takeovers without having to do expensive upgrades to PD6662 !!! This may involve new detectors as well as a G2 or G3 control panel.

I will have another read through my regs books, a bit of bedtime reading.

Thanks guys.

Regards

clivesorts

Hi Pete

Thanks for your reply.

Regarding upgrading systems that have had their URN deleted, that senario is straight forward because it would have to be upgraded to PD6662 & DD243 : 2004 so as to obtain a new URN.

My main query is for bells only systems, for example, the system is 3 years old, a few PIRs etc.. Customer wants to add a couple of PIRs and may want to take out a maintenance contract with us. If the customer has no insurance implications then we can go in, add the extra PIRs & not have the need to upgrade to the new standards ? The customer may of had their original system fitted to BS 4737 a few years ago, obtained a NACOSS certificate from the installers( if approved co. ).

The problems we want to avoid is having to go & survey these new bells only takeovers without having to do expensive upgrades to PD6662 !!! This may involve new detectors as well as a G2 or G3 control panel.

I will have another read through my regs books, a bit of bedtime reading.

Thanks guys.

Regards

clivesorts

The SSAIB view, (notice 1001), is "Minor extensions should be done to the standards of the original system" - so for an existing system installed to BS4737 little additions such as you list can be done to BS4737.

IMO it would also be worth carrying out a risk assessment if there is the slightest implication that the existing system may not be sufficiently well designed for its use.

You haven't stated if you are an inspected company (SSAIB or NSI) but if you are then guidance should have been available to you on this issue.

Thanks for reply rjbsec

We are an NSI company.

Thanks for you input, 99% of quieries can be obtained from the NSI " bibles " & we can contact our Inspectors to get advice. It is also helpful just to get opinions from other people who are in the industry aswell and it makes us all that bit wiser.

Thank you

Regards

clivesorts

Archived