Security Installer Community

Texecom Odyssey 1 Sounder

Guest jaygee

Total novice so go easy.

I'm putting in a small system in my house and have a query regarding the fixing of the Texecom Odyssey 1 sounder. I'm linking it up to a Veritas R8 control panel. Complete system will be Control Panel, Sounder, 3 PIR's and 1 door contact.

The wiring is OK but I'm a little confused as to why an extra screw is required under the microswitch. The manual states it's needed but doesn't seem to give an explanation why.

The bolt used on the cover seems to be the main trigger on this and I'm not sure why the extra screw is required. I'm sure there is a simple explanation.

Another question, for testing purposes, am I best not connecting the bell box until everything seems to be working correctly or could I just leave the -ve bell connection so I don't annoy the neighbours but can check the strobe does as it should.

If anyone can assist it would be much appreciated.

The extra screw is for the wall tamper mechanism. If someone tries to remove the whole unit from the wall, the screw will pull the tamper switch assembly away from the tamper switch, causing the lever on the switch to slip and trigger an alarm. It might seem unrealistic, but it does happen quite alot.

As for your second question, it's totally up to you. You could connect a buzzer across the + and switched negative of the bell for testing purposes, without the external bell ringing all the time.

Trade Member

Many thanks for the quick response.

I had pictured just the cover being pulled off rather than the whole box. That explains it.

Good idea on the buzzer. Should cause a little less embarrassment with the neighbours.

Guest Lorraine

I would strongly suggest you get hold of a multimeter if you haven't already got one. You always get little problems and like you I was a complete novice and without my trusty fluke 189 I'd have been screwed!

To be honest I wouldn't bother leaving the bell disconnected if you are sure the wiring is correct. When powering up a Veritas system it wont sound until you either do a bell test or set the system off. Just dont push then release any tampers without putting the panel in engineers mode first.

Trade Member

• 1 month later...
Guest nick cheevers
Total novice so go easy.

I'm putting in a small system in my house and have a query regarding the fixing of the Texecom Odyssey 1 sounder. I'm linking it up to a Veritas R8 control panel. Complete system will be Control Panel, Sounder, 3 PIR's and 1 door contact.

The wiring is OK but I'm a little confused as to why an extra screw is required under the microswitch. The manual states it's needed but doesn't seem to give an explanation why.

The bolt used on the cover seems to be the main trigger on this and I'm not sure why the extra screw is required. I'm sure there is a simple explanation.

Another question, for testing purposes, am I best not connecting the bell box until everything seems to be working correctly or could I just leave the -ve bell connection so I don't annoy the neighbours but can check the strobe does as it should.

If anyone can assist it would be much appreciated.

The reason for the screw under the microswitch, is so that if the whole unit is ripped off the wall the switch will be activated.

Archived