Security Installer Community

Need To Either Reset Or Disable An Old Optima Xm6

Guest greencreeper

Guest greencreeper

Humble apologies if this thread is in the wrong place - perhaps a passing mod could move it...

Probably will sound a bit suss will this but...

I have a friend who's asked for my help with his security alarm. One of the dangers of knowing about computers - get asked to fix anything that beeps and has flashing lights :rolleyes:

He's inherited the security alarm. Unbelievably, neither his landlord or the letting agent know the code. The previous tenant knows the code and the last time the alarm sounded (caused by a power cut), it was (I'm told) a mad dash to her house to obtain the code. It was a mercy that a neighbour knew where she lived. Same neighbour who was woken up. Unfortunately, the previous tenant has now moved. The code is lost. Four of the buttons are worn, so it's obviously a four digit code. Doesn't help much though. I took the cover off and quickly put it back on when it started doing it's beeping thing. A career in bomb disposal definitely doesn't beckon. Never occurred to me that it might have anti-tamper mechanisms :whistle: I was hoping that maybe the code was on a bit of paper stuck inside. Played too many computer games methinks. So, I need to either reset it (assuming this is possible) or disable it. I know it has two power sources but it can't be as simple as disconnecting both mains and battery power. Or can it. I also know that anything to do with the workings of security systems is top secret, for obvious reasons. Any help would be appreciated though. Email address is sneezy [at] ntlworld [dot] com if anyone wants to email me rather than post publically.

TIA

Guest greencreeper
I don't think anyone on here will give you much advise about how to disable an alarm system - for obvious reasons.

Yes - I can understand, hence my email address.

To disable it would require accerss to the control panel and the external unit. This would mean having some technical knowledge, working with mains electric and climbing a ladder.

So "external unit" suggests that there is something outside that would require disabling, in addition to inside. I thought as much - is logical. Mains electric I'm fine with - only three wires so how can you go wrong :unsure: Ladders - definitely not. The external bit rules out my intervention. Know your limits and only exceed them when you have someone to blame :P

It would be advisable to call on a local alarm Co. .... and perhaps have the alarm re-programmed instead of disabled. :hmm:

The landlord's not that helpful. Could be interesting.

Thanks for your reply.

post the area that you live in on this site and someone may be able to help, otherwise try your local yellow pages. a alarm engineer should may be able to default and reset the panel and you could have a fully working system :yes:

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Archived