Security Installer Community

Services.exe At 100%

Guest Cyberprog
I'm post SP4 here so that should be sorted. There's a couple of other MS KB's that say things about SERVICES.EXE at 100% but they have all been attended to in previous service packs.

I'm wondering if it's the hosts file causing this as it has recently grown to a fair size, although this has happened before that was done but it's become more frequent since. :hmm:

If you're post SP4 then I assume you're running 2000, you should consider upgrading to XP as it runs faster on comparative hardware with better support for games :) I've had machines with identical specs with the two OS's and XP always wins over :)

If you're post SP4 then I assume you're running 2000, you should consider upgrading to XP

Absolutely no chance whatsoever at all in the slightest ever thankyou! All 6 machines here are running W2K Pro and that's that, end of. ;)

Might just reinstall it anyway, startup and shutdown is getting slower by the day. :cry:

Does the latop ever shut down on its own ie something like " Services.exe has encountered a serious error and will be shut down"

Nope, runs absolutely fine apart from occasionaly hanging with services at 100% for a minute or so. Other than that, everything is as normal, can't see anything out of place. :huh:

Spyware removal tools can cause 100% utilization, try the following:

1) edit your C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file

using notepad

2) if you have more than a dozen entries, you are using

some software to defeat PopUp advertisements that creates

a static DNS record in your hosts file that associates the

advertising site with your computer's IP lookback address

3) delete this file or replace it with the original that

your software has renamed to hosts.bak or some similar name

4) reboot

5) this should fix your SERVICES.EXE CPU problem

All you should have in there is your loopback address really.... Let me know how you get on.

Dean

Watchdog Security (Manchester)

I've come to the conclusion it could be the hosts file too, there's hundreds of entries in there. Useful, but not if it makes the laptop useless. I put it all there to stop it spending ages downloading loads of ads when I'm using it through GPRS, works well apart from the fact it kills the laptop. :rolleyes:

I've cut it back down to 4 entries, see what happens there......... Fingers crossed. ;)

have a look in reg at HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run and see if there are any keys in there that load the namely Services.exe file. If there is it should give you some indication as to whether its a 'bogus' services.exe running from a different location to the systems services.exe.

If you get What i mean ;)

Trade Member

All looks tickety boo in there. :) Seems to be running OK atm, think it may have been the hosts file. :(

Bloody Windows.

/goes off to put together new Linux server.

Archived