Security Installer Community

Pir Questions

Guest Gti Jazz Blue

Guest Gti Jazz Blue

Hello peeps,

Just moved and inherited a Scantronix 9800+. It only has 4 PIRs,1 PA, 1 RKP, 1 Bell and Internal speaker. The installer (pro installed supposidly) didn't wire a PIR to all main rooms (so has 3 spare zones) or any door contacts. I have engineer defaulted and re-programmed the panel (no problem there).

I am wanting to add some more PIRs and have found a job lot of 5 of the above PIRs new. Are they a good Dual-Tech PIR ?

Would also want to use them eventually on the Galaxy 16+ Panel that I bought 2nd hand (I have defaulted it) and before anyone says yes I have a brand new RIO for it too. As well as all the required 1K resistors.

What is everyones opinion of no door contacts (I can see why as routing and hiding the cables would be a major PITA) is it an OK config to have a room PIR as the Entry/Exit Zone.

cheers,

Paul

Hello peeps,

What is everyones opinion of no door contacts (I can see why as routing and hiding the cables would be a major PITA) is it an OK config to have a room PIR as the Entry/Exit Zone.

cheers,

Paul

:no:

always door contact as E/E. pirs on E(ntry)R(oute) if necessary..

Guest Gti Jazz Blue

I would like to point out that this is the config that I have inherited. So I will look into some discrete in frame door contacts and routing the cable (which will be a laugh). The backdoor won't be too bad as I can run the cable under the kitchen cabinets. It is the front door that I will strugle on.

What is the general concensus on cables under carpets round the edge of the room ?

Also is the Pyronix Eclipse EP a good dual-tech detector ?

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

cheers,

Paul

Guest Gti Jazz Blue

The other joke is that the room the the end station is installed in doesn't have any protection and has an external window - go figure that one. The only saving grace is that he used a reasonable panel (Scantronix 9800+). I have a Galaxy 16+ to replace it though, I'm going to play and get the config right on the bench in the garage.

• 1 month later...

always fit a door contact to the final door, otherwise the wife comes home and gets to the kitchen door before the internal speaker starts, then causes the bell to ring as she or the kids run into the kitchen.

it also means you can have a sensible entry/exit time or 'final door set'. as you have a pir in hall, i would advise add 10 seconds 'settlement time' on the full set exit timer, other wise on colder or windy days, as you pull the front door you create a thermal swirl of cold air in a warm hall, this can cause what seem 'intermittent setting faults' indicated by internal sirens only exit time exceeded, or full alarms if the system sets then triggers on the hall PIR.

other advantages are if you need to allow the kids to go downstairs to get drinks, then you can part set with the hall and kitchen pir off, i'd advise a contact on the kitchen and side doors. this also means less fuss and a short exit time when part setting for bedtime.

Disclaimer.

these ideas are for explority thought only, its your home and security which we have not seen, and effectively you are doing it 'on the cheap' or out of curiosity. non of us has any more fingers or thumbs on our hands than our creator allocated, you could make a reasonable job of it. but you may loose possible functionality due to lack of knowledge or misunderstanding the terms used - put it this way do you think i could i do your job near as good as you? let me guess :hmm: errrrr NO!.

you need also to think of false alarms and faults and if you could trace and repair them effectively in the future, an alarm that crys wolf is soon ignored but heavily complained about.

you need to concider if it is the best approach for your situation. if you truly want the best ideas or the biggest bang for you buck, then get one of us to visit you home, risk access and properly advise you once concideration of all the aspects has ben done - what do we get paid the 'big bucks' for? - our know how and how to do!

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived