Security Installer Community

optima xl4 damaged cable bell sounding constantly

Guest ripcordraver

Guest ripcordraver

hi

this is my first post so i would like to thank you for any help in advance as i have very little expirience with alarms especially fault finding.

i got a call from a friend who had drilled a hole above fis alarm panel (optima xl4) and had set off the bell. he was unable to reset using the code and called me an electrician.

i removed the plaster from around the drilled hole and could see a couple of damaged cables. so i tried to strip the insulation back a twist them together (good as new, hehehe). the problem is when we tried to reset it zones 2 and 3 flash on and the bell continues to sound even with all the electric turned off at the mains.

i replaced the sensors 2 and 3 with links found in the panel to remove them from the equation. i now able to reset the panel so the only lights on were the power and ok(whatever it is) light.

i could set the alarm and then open the front to set it off again

the problem is the bell was going off the whole time with a steady stream of neighbours coming around to see what was going on.

i ended up having to break the bottom of the box to get in due to rust on the screw and disconnect the siren cable from its terminal. it has a battery inside with a jumper bar wich allows you to disconnect it.

the battery in side the control panel had alot of corrosion which made it impossible to remove the terminals. i will replace this and see if it makes any difference. i will also replace the external bell.

it is not his house so he does not want to replace the system.

thanks for all your time reading this novel of a post

i hope it was worth your time.

so now all is quiet untill i go around again

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ripcordraver

yeah it is all fixed now, replaced fuse, fitted a new SAB and repaired the damaged wires.

also installed a new battery.

could not unscrew old bell box cover even when i had pliers on the nut, it was rusted solid so the only choice i had was to break it off the wall.

the new box looks great and, gives people the impression a new systems has been installed.

have got some more electrical work from that one job.

thanks for all your help

Archived