Security Installer Community

FSL Advice

Guest Arch

Looking for some advice and reassurance. I am in the process of wiring up a Scantronic 9651 panel and am looking for some reasurance on the physical wiring of a fully supervised loop. I fully understand the concept of a FSL and the use of the 4k7 ohm and 2k2 ohm resistors to differentiate between an alarm condition and a tamper condition.

In terms of the physical connections i understand the 4K7 resistor is connected in parralel across the alarm contacts, is there any preference as to whether this is done at the sensor or at the panel connection?

Given that you are trying to make a complete series circuit out of the alarm contact and the tamper contact I would therefore assume that at the sensor you would connect one end of the alarm cable say, blue core, to the first alarm connection then connect the 2K2 resistor from the 2nd alarm connection to the 1st tamper connection and the second tamper connection to the alarm return, say black core. If connecting the 4K7 resistor at the sensor this would then need the resistor connected across the alarm wires ie the 1st alarm connection point and the 2nd tamper connection point which is now the alarm return.

Would appreciate some advise as to whether I have got this right.

cheers guys.

Arch :hmm:

In terms of the physical connections i understand the 4K7 resistor is connected in parralel across the alarm contacts, is there any preference as to whether this is done at the sensor or at the panel connection?

69827[/snapback]

All resistors should be connected at the detector end, otherwise the cable isn't fully monitored.

Given that you are trying to make a complete series circuit out of the alarm contact and the tamper contact I would therefore assume that at the sensor you would connect one end of the alarm cable say, blue core, to the first alarm connection then connect the 2K2 resistor from the 2nd alarm connection to the 1st tamper connection and the second tamper connection to the alarm return, say black core. If connecting the 4K7 resistor at the sensor this would then need the resistor connected across the alarm wires ie the 1st alarm connection point and the 2nd tamper connection point which is now the alarm return.

69827[/snapback]

All correct apart from the last connection of the last resistor, it goes in the 2nd alarm connection, not the 2nd tamper connection. Best bet is to get yourself some paper and draw it out first.

Yep cheers mate drew it out I would have had the 4k7 across the alarm and tamper contacts appreciate the help.

Have noticed that the bell box, a CQR Security Multibox plus has a couple of connection options either using a trigger wired monitoring facility or without using this. I have chosen not to use this 1) coz i do not know what it is although I assume it is some method of sensing a fault in the alarm signal line, and 2) the booklet suggests that the typical uk systen does not use this facility.

With the scenario which does not use the trigger monitor facility a 1k resistor is connected across the +ve hold off and the Trig and another across the +ve hold off and the Strobe. Are the resistors used to set some sort of bias voltage or for something else.

In this set up I have used the following connections Bell box STB to panel OP1, Bell Box Trig to panel OP2, Bell box RTN to panel TR and the +/- hold offs to the 12v and 0v respectively. Any advise on whetherthis seems ok.Have not applied power yet as it did not supply the resistors and I will need to get some from work tomorrow and didnt want to connect power in case the resistors are critical and are being used to drop the voltage to the STB or TRIG ccts.

thanks.

Arch :yes:

The resistors are for monitoring as you've sussed and aren't critical to the not blowing up of the box. They can however cause the bell to randomly chirp with a self diagnosed fault so I would advise leaving it powered down until the resistors are in from an annoyance factor rather than preservation, IYSWIM

Thanks guys yeh had remembered about programming from the Global tamper to the FSL. Why anyone would use a Global tamper system is beyond me, it is more hassle to wire and a pain to fault find quickly without conn checking every tamper cct and it would always be the last one you checked. :yes:

Its not hard to locate a fault with a global tamper system just put them in some termy block a zone at a time stick your meter on one of the wires from the panel and meter each one at a time when it stops buzzing your on the zone with the fault. All within about 30 seconds. It makes no odds how i wire them but on a take over/panel change its better to leave the resistors out as its far quicker to get the job done not messing around with resisters. Also what if you get 5 doors on a zone etc just pull the old panel out and fit the new one and your on your way home. Just my thaughts..

Whistle, yeh valid point and I suppose checking for a permanently open tamper switch is not a real problem but in a new installation like mine it is not any harder to install a couple of resistors as each sensor is wired and the time taken there is saved by not having to chocky bloc a series cct for all the tampers.

Archived