Security Installer Community

oscilloscope

securitycctv

Good advice, but the earth loop problem is more indepth and if you get a good one like the one we have been on for three days, you start pulling your hair out

68368[/snapback]

if possible just isolate the camera from ground (unless it is 230V camera) + add video isolation transformer..

should do the trick..

Good advice, but the earth loop problem is more indepth and if you get a good one like the one we have been on for three days, you start pulling your hair out

68368[/snapback]

Have known in the past that the only way to get rid of a really nasty earth loop problem is to run an independant earth all the way back to the receiving equipment and bond it to the same earth! very time consuming but it will usually always cure the problem.

Paul.

• 3 weeks later...

Ay up,

I must say I carry a scope in boot and I use it a few times a week.

My problem is that most of my fibers are provided by BT and as we all know, BT are always right!!

So when they tell me a lack of data must be down to my kit, I stick the old scope on & prove 'em wrong.

It's also useful having a digital scope, 'cuz then you can pick out a line of information, such as data on a UTC.

In summary, useful for checking data but there's easier kit to use for checking video.

I went up into the attic...I found a Stradavarius & a Picasso. Unfortunately.....

Stradavarius couldn't paint, and Picasso made a shocking fiddle.

My Facebook page...http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1279556853&ref=name

• 2 months later...
Guest cctvman

Must agree to a point on your comment on BT & there it's not our kit :angry2:

After they vist you allways have video back & most times data, although most including the older fiber does have error & fail indication

Ok off subject.....

Scope's

They are a great bit of kit to have if you are using data over the same coax for video as if you interference or bad data it is easy to see with a scope, apart from that i have never really ever had to use one for video signal alone, a peak to peak or even a decent DMM can do the same

Oh last & not least the only other time i have ever used a scope was my radio days & the odd EAS system

Regards

Al :cold2:

Ay up,

I must say I carry a scope in boot and I use it a few times a week.

My problem is that most of my fibers are provided by BT and as we all know, BT are always right!!

So when they tell me a lack of data must be down to my kit, I stick the old scope on & prove 'em wrong.

It's also useful having a digital scope, 'cuz then you can pick out a line of information, such as data on a UTC.

In summary, useful for checking data but there's easier kit to use for checking video.

• 2 months later...
Must agree to a point on your comment on BT & there it's not our kit :angry2:

After they vist you allways have video back & most times data, although most including the older fiber does have error & fail indication

Ok off subject.....

Scope's

They are a great bit of kit to have if you are using data over the same coax for video as if you interference or bad data it is easy to see with a scope, apart from that i have never really ever had to use one for video signal alone, a peak to peak or even a decent DMM can do the same

Oh last & not least the only other time i have ever used a scope was my radio days & the odd EAS system

Regards

Al :cold2:

What I was finding was that the unit fail indicators were showing all was well (typically RS1000), however the scope proved the data level was too flat for the kit it was driving. They replaced their TX and, hey presto! Put the scope on the new TX and it showed a luvverly 5volts. :P

I went up into the attic...I found a Stradavarius & a Picasso. Unfortunately.....

Stradavarius couldn't paint, and Picasso made a shocking fiddle.

My Facebook page...http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1279556853&ref=name

Archived