Security Installer Community

Reed door switch problem???

Guest paulm34

Guest paulm34

so why can you buy reed switchs for upvc doors

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...e=14&doy=search

An alarm contact switch especially designed for UPVC windows where drilling or screw fixings may invalidate manufacturers warranty. This device is affixed by means of a self adhesive pad on both the switch and the magnet. As it is so easy to fit, it may also be used in place of conventional contact switches in most locations indoors. B)

Was that Maplins, purveyor of professional goods to alarm engineers, or Maplins the shop that sells DIY intruder alarm crappy gear?

:no:

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

well lets put it this way. I would not let a pro or diy alarm fitter put screws into my brand new front door.thank for help but :no:

67223[/snapback]

If you are going down that route (adhesive tape/pads), Im afraid that you may encounter problems.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

well lets put it this way. I would not let a pro or diy alarm fitter put screws into my brand new front door.thank for help but :no:

67223[/snapback]

With respect, you don't know what you are talking about. A magnetic contact is a small device. It is to protect your premises against entry, or to start the entry timer. Every alarm system (apart from a minute amount) has them, and believe me, I have never in my life seen one stuck to the door. The alarm is there for life and is therefore a fixture of the door just the same as your letterbox and door locks.

Maplin's unit is sealed, so if it goes faulty the entire unit and cable needs to be ripped off. Furthermore, the sticky pad can dry out causing the contact to fall off meaning a false alarm if the system was set. And, as it is a DIY brand, the actual build of the unit may be prone to more faults than a conventional contact.

And presumably Maplin's contact needs to be wired in via a junction box (so that it meets the end of the cable that is going back to the panel)? Or are you just going to stick it with adhesive? Good luck

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

so why can you buy reed switchs for upvc doors

[An alarm contact switch especially designed for UPVC windows where drilling or screw fixings may invalidate manufacturers warranty.]

When upvc doors were a new idea the warranty was a problem but the glassing co's have come round these days and i have even rung to query this on at least three occasions and each time they have said if its a couple of tiny screws holding the magnet and contact they would not consider it to invalidate the warranty but why not ring a couple to confirm? sticky tape I agree with the other guys is just not on ! :yes: Paul.

Archived