Security Installer Community

What type of wiring method do the pro's use?

Guest roonster

Guest roonster

Hello,

Just wanted to know what the majority of the pro lads use to wire up their panels.

As far as i understand, FSL = fully supervised loop.

This method of wiring is more secure but also more difficult to carry out than CC - which is closed circuit. Which involves simply connecting up the wires!

FSL uses to two resitors with a different value to allow the panel to differentiae between the two. That is the circuit signal. And the tamper signal.

1 resistor is fitted at the end of the loop in series. Thus this brings in the next concept. EOL - which is End of line. So basically as the resistor fits in at the end of the last detector its called EOL me thinks.

Another resitor is fitted across the alarm contact in parralel.

However personally im not sure how they are fitted in either location.

This type of wiring uses only two wires! So one 8 core wire can supply a few zones by using in series rather than one cable for each detector/zone.

With the loop in normal condition one the resitors is shorted out. (The one connected in parallel) The other resitor is conected in parralel across the alarm contacts. Hence when the alarm contact opens the resistance of the loop increases! Woohoo. The control unit picks up on this increased resistance and realises its a tamper signal. The alarm rings!

Anyways thats the theory. For those who dont know. Im pretty sure its correct. Please post if it isnt.

So anyways which one do the lads use? CC - connect wires up without any messing around.

Or FSL/EOL using resistors and solder etc and messing around a litle?

Does each PIR need a resitor soldered inside it then? Im assumsing the other resitors which goes in series, is simply done by adding it between the two wires that are being used for a particular zone?

and you can now get detectors with EOL jumpers in them. And you still need to have a pair of cores for 12v. And some companies wire EOL and other companies the "cc" way. It is no big deal with EOL. The panels come with wiring diagrams as to how to do it. I am sure some other people will have the time to explain further, but not sure how much detail they will go into it because it is a security aspect that won't be discussed with DIYers.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

I don't see how cable running affects the type of wiring used. I don't think you'll find many intruder installers that would use EOL\FSL just so they can cram 3 detectors onto one 8 core. I, and most others, run 1 8 core to each device and leave the spares for future upgrades and faults to save ripping the house apart to replace 1 cable.

There's no soldering involved in any of the wiring types, just stick to CC, easier to get it right and fault find, especially for a newbie. ;)

Because as I have understood at least one DIY - panel supports DEOL it shouldn't be too risky to explain it.

DEOL --> One resistor in series, one in parallel. There are (at least) two different ways to wire DEOL and it is up to the panel used (as well as the resistor values which do NOT have to be different from each other).

one resistor will be put in series with NC and TAMPER contact and another parallel with NC contact.

in another DEOL circuit you put a resistor in series with NC and TAMPER contact and another resistor comes in parallel with that other resistor and NC contact in series.

so this will give us a values (in case we are using resistors with same value):

1st

0 ohm = FAULT

1R ohm = NORMAL

2R ohm = ALARM

inf ohm = TAMPER

whereas 2nd would give us

0 ohm = FAULT

1/2R ohm = ALARM

1R ohm = NORMAL

inf ohm = TAMPER

you can ofcourse use either of wiring methods even if panel suggests you to use other. you just have to respectively either half or double the resistor values used. this only applies if BOTH resistors are same value.

hopefully this clarified it.

:yes:

Ditto the above although i havent a clue what ditto means.

64737[/snapback]

i think she had a number one hit with Eminem a couple of years ago

Archived