Security Installer Community

Abacus 15 - False Alarms?

Guest Rocky

I've been having a long running battle with an Abacus 15 system.

This particular customer has his premises wired with the usual mixture of motion detectors and magnetic contacts. His premises are spread out over four or five small outbuildings, one outbuilding houses the main panel and a remote keypad and a second outbuliding houses another remote keypad.

Each of the outbuildings has at least one PA button fitted (for which the customer uses as an accident alert more so than a personal attack alarm).

Because of the quantity of detectors, contacts and PA buttons the system has had to be expanded by using zone splitters (i.e. no spare zones).

One particular zone is split to connect two PA buttons, one on the A-circuit and one on the B-circuit (both sited in tha same outbuilding).

The zone splitter itself, is local to the PA buttons and something like 20 metres from the main panel.

For whatever reason, the system is intermittently activating for PA on this zone, irrespective of whether the system is armed (ruling out human interaction) or disarmed.

Sometimes the system activates immediately after the system is disarmed (of which takes place in a different outbuilding).

So far I've replaced the entire cable run, the zone splitter and each PA button.

Today, I decided to swap the zone with another to see if the fault stayed with the original zone or moved with the wiring.

Has anyone experienced problems with a zone splitter?

Is the distance from the main panel critical?

Does it matter what device goes on what circuit (A or B)?

Any ideas???

Rocky, there was an issue with splitters and they (DA Systems) put a note in the splitter box explaining what to do. (F/A'd mainly just after setting if I remember right) Trouble is, it's been such a long time since I wired one, I can't remember what they said you had to do.

I'm sure some of the other lads will know more, but I'll watch this thread & if no one posts the solution, I've got a few in our store & will dig one out & let you know what they say.

Regards Chris :)

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Check that "Trouble Detect" is switched off, as if it is on it will cause false alarms, as it is not compatiable with a zone splitter.

Yeah, I saw the note in the programming manual regarding TROUBLE DETECT and yes it is definitely switched off.

Rocky, there was an issue with splitters and they (DA Systems) put a note in the splitter box explaining what to do. (F/A'd mainly just after setting if I remember right) Trouble is, it's been such a long time since I wired one, I can't remember what they said you had to do.

Just dug a zone splitter out of the car, you're right about the note, seems I need to "link the 'T' terminal of the zone with the zone splitter (or VS2-L) to 0V".

May well be the answer to my problem.

I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on.

Beat me to it Rocky :)

I'd probably link them all anyway mate.

Hope it solves the problem

Chris

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Did you ever explain the problem to their technical? Not that most of them know what they are doing - but Gordon does.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Rocky, there was an issue with splitters and they (DA Systems) put a note in the splitter box explaining what to do. (F/A'd mainly just after setting if I remember right)

The above is interesting cos I've got a PJ doing that and need to go back to it--Will try the "T" to Ov asap and see if it does the biz,Ta boys!!Paul :yes:

I seem to remember something about not putting pa,s or final exits on splits.

I am certain that you're not supposed to do this.

One of our lads said the same this morning Pete, but couldn't remember where he'd got it from.

Chris

Archived