Security Installer Community

alarm cables - where?

Simon_D

Guest dmgsys

Are there any other access routes to the loft ie airing cupboards where cables cane be run, then cable can be fed out via pine end of house if available or drill up through wall into loft in not, failing that trunking is ok

put them under the boards only cowboys put cables under carpets.

64325[/snapback]

THAT, is not true at all. In your opinion, only cowboys put cables under carpets.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

put them under the boards only cowboys put cables under carpets.

64325[/snapback]

I find this a little hard to take in because it means that all my early years of training with Moderns/Ambassador/Britania was all wrong I was taught that the method was driven by the circumstances, some customers will not have their carpets completely lifted and untill the site to site molecular transporter is perfected you cannot run under the floor boards does that make the engineer a cowboy who lifts the edge of the carpet and carefully cuts out a 6mm edge of underlay on the inside of the carpet track so that the cable sits snuggly under the carpet with out producing lines later? I personally would not call him a cow boy or what if the floor is screeded concrete / no not a cowboy but a trades man doing the best he can to achieve the best job for the customer?.

Unfortunately in some instances when words are so cheap comments are ill considered, the best rule to guage the installation method for cables is " It is a sin to show cables" unless of course its impossible not to however if you are a diy'er then its up to you what is acceptable, if you are ok with clipping round the top of skirting board then thats ok for you there are two ways to achieve a top class job impose high standards on yourself or employ a high quality professional to do it for you,its your choice GOOD LUCK Simon,Paul

(Always willing to give helpful advise to anyone who asks )

Guest roonster

I had an alarm fitted a about 5 yrs back i think. THe installer was really good. You could not see any of the cabling at all!

In a few places it was cos he had it easy with there being no carpets and floorboards already lifted by the plumber.

But other places it wasnt like that. Somehow he found a way. Also he was a good chippy as well! Where he couldnt conceal the cable in one of the places he made a special box going up the stair case to bring the cable down unseen. Once painted you'd never know anything was there!

I find this a little hard to take in because it means that all my early years of training with Moderns/Ambassador/Britania was all wrong I was taught that the method was driven by the circumstances, some customers will not have their carpets completely lifted and untill the site to site molecular transporter is perfected you cannot run under the floor boards does that make the engineer a cowboy who lifts the edge of the carpet and carefully cuts out a 6mm edge of underlay on the inside of the carpet track so that the cable sits snuggly under the carpet with out producing lines later? I personally would not call him a cow boy or what if the floor is screeded concrete / no not a cowboy but a trades man doing the best he can to achieve the best job for the customer?.

Unfortunately in some instances when words are so cheap comments are ill considered, the best rule to guage the installation method for cables is " It is a sin to show cables" unless of course its impossible not to however if you are a diy'er then its up to you what is acceptable, if you are ok with clipping round the top of skirting board then thats ok for you there are two ways to achieve a top class job impose high standards on yourself or employ a high quality professional to do it for you,its your choice GOOD LUCK Simon,Paul

(Always willing to give helpful advise to anyone who asks )

64367[/snapback]

I was going to say most of that but...didn't bother. Guess what, I have seen a few houses recently that have had all the detectors cable clipped to skirting and frames on the ground floor for no reason at all. Shockingly poor and completely unnecessary. Bright yellow bell box as well :no: . Must have been a dealership then!

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Archived