Security Installer Community

Wiring standards

Deltaseven

Now I have read all the queries on here about 'standard wiring colours', and fully agree that we should all aim to be different, some even use a different wiring standard for each installation. But the job I went to today...

Thought it would be easy enough, panel upgrade from Castle 1700 to Euro 28 (both ID), upgrade all 14 existing detectors, 2 new detectors, and upgrade to ID Plus.

Wasn't too bad, apart from the wiring colours used - different for EVERY detector! Some with 12V on blue/yellow, and ID on Black/Red. ID+ on blue, ID- on yellow, you name it, even through to orange and pink used as a pair.

How would you remember what you did to each detector when it came to wiring up the panel?

Its great out there isnt it? :)

Personally I use:

sinceRed/Black - Power

Blue/Yellow - Zone/ID circuit

Green White - Tamper if required

63182[/snapback]

that makes sense even for me :roflmao:

since i use TP cable here i stick to pair numbers. each pair has its own function regarding of the purpose of the cable (ie. going to detector, keypad or JB).

Since this is a public forum i would like to remind everyone that you use UK - type alarm cable ... :yes:

and if i remember it correctly u can use belden in some situations..

• 4 months later...
Its great out there isnt it? :)

Personally I use:

Red/Black - Power

Blue/Yellow - Zone/ID circuit

Green White - Tamper if required

same here

recently completed takeover-upgrade on an alarm system originally installed by another company

Orange and white circuit

red and black aux

some zones were blue and yellow

some were orange and brown

:s

Trade Member

I used to work for Blue Circle Security Systems in High Wycombe (before it was taken over by Chubb). It was a family run company by Kenny boy and his Jazz band! (never called the management this to their face!). Ken started it back in 1970-something and was his baby!

The "Kenny colour code" was:

red/black - Tamper

yellow/blue - CCT

green+/white- POWER

extra cores (if 12 core):

orange/brown - additional N/C device

Pink/Slate - additional N/C device

Light Blue/Purple - additional N/C device

Everyone stuck to the same colour code for the whole of the companies history so it made life really easy!

Red and black power is what everyone uses and too obvious!

Matt

it makes sense to use green and white for power, that way all your colours stay the same even when you use a 4 core for a contact,

I've heard people say that before but I use 8 core for absolutely everything so no reason to swap colour codes for different cables\devices. Less **** to carry around in the car too. :)

Archived