Security Installer Community

868Mhz PIRs protocol

Guest chiquetete

Guest chiquetete

Hi all,

i found this forum looking for information about how the PIRs work. We are trying to develop a small project with wireless sensors and a computer.

We would like to be able to "talk" with PIR sensors (we have one from Honeywell - 5888H) with a board that has a 868mhz transmitter, but we don't find any information about the protocol used by PIRs.

Could someone help us? or do you where we could find this information (if it is public)?

Thanks in advanced,

regards.

Juanjo.

So you would like us to give you the protocol on the public internet so anyone can hack into a wireless system, is that what your asking?

Sorry I may have misunderstood you, Im not being sarcastic - Im curious now???

Guest chiquetete

Sorry, i think my post is going to create a great controversy...

Let me explain we are doing a 'research' project for the University and change my question please. I should began asking if it is possible to obtain this protocol, is it public? I suppose it is not...

I am sorry the way i did my previous questions...

Regards.

I am sorry if it came accross the wrong way, but Im not happy about this advice being given sorry? maybe see what the other members think too.

Dont appologise, you only asked a question after all :)

It isn't necessarily that silly a question, especially if you compare it to computer networks. :no:

The protocols used by wireless computer networks are (generally) public information, as are those for the internet. That's how they manage to work interchangeably (interesting debate there :cry: ). Security, as plenty of members on here will know, is achieved by using appropriate authentication and encryption.

Also, there's a sort of "given" in the security world that "security by obscurity" doesn't work on its own. Your security mechanisms need to be robust and not just depend on being unpublished or obscure.

So, maybe wireless PIR's do, or could, use publicly-published protocols. It would probably keep the costs down. ;)

Guest chiquetete

hi again,

i don't anything about the protocol, that's why i was trying to find information.

DNS Security, you have reason and my question is quite stupid, that's clear, and your reply is a good reply for my stupid post.

I thought that the protocol would have a set of security mechanisms (that's what amateurandy says)...

I will do what ian.cant says, and try to talk to the manufacturer, but i am sure i won't find a different replay, will i?

I am affraid that the protocols are not public, so i won't obtain any information.

when i came here to ask i thought that there should be some kind of organization or association of manufacturers of security wireless sensors, because some of them can interact. or am i wrong?

regards,

DNS Security, you have reason and my question is quite stupid, that's clear, and your reply is a good reply for my stupid post.

61385[/snapback]

No-one is calling you stupid ;) You have a question, and that isnt stupid :)

Guest chiquetete
No-one is calling you stupid ;) 

61387[/snapback]

Sure! :)

DNS Security, do you think we are trying to do (my project) something impossible? i mean because we won't be able to find the protocol/way to talk to a PIR?

Thanks to all for your help,

regards.

Its possible I suppose - but it would be encoded by each manufaturer with sub-encoding of some kind - otherwise every wireless PIR would work with each manufactureres panel on the same frequency, and they dont.

Archived