Security Installer Community

Changing some shock sensors

Guest Lemo

I have an old-but-functional Aritech panel. I recently got uPVC windows in the front of the house which meant removing the shock sensors so the window guys could work. I need to run the cables back and get new shock sensors (old ones were brown - need white ones now). Picture is attached.

Some very basic questions...

- Do I need to get Aritech sensors or are they interchangeable with (possibly better) makes?

- My old cables were tacked with cable clips but I've noticed that some sort of adhesive seems to be used these days. Much neater. Anyone know what kind of adhesive it is?

- I also have a vertically mounted Aritech shock sensor on the patio door which causes quite a few false alarms. I'm assuming it's just an old and dodgy sensor but I'm also thinking that maybe they're not designed to be mounted vertically. What say you?

Thanks!

post-5180-1119364503_thumb.jpg

I have an old-but-functional Aritech panel. I recently got uPVC windows in the front of the house which meant removing the shock sensors so the window guys could work. I need to run the cables back and get new shock sensors (old ones were brown - need white ones now). Picture is attached.

Some very basic questions...

- Do I need to get Aritech sensors or are they interchangeable with (possibly better) makes?

57891[/snapback]

The were designed to be used together, although any mechanical inertia shoud work, in theory. I'm not sure if they are still available, as most now are electronic sensors.

- My old cables were tacked with cable clips but I've noticed that some sort of adhesive seems to be used these days. Much neater. Anyone know what kind of adhesive it is?

57891[/snapback]

Some people use a standard glue gun, which may be what you have seen. Alternatively, you can use single cable trunking which also looks neat.

- I also have a vertically mounted Aritech shock sensor on the patio door which causes quite a few false alarms. I'm assuming it's just an old and dodgy sensor but I'm also thinking that maybe they're not designed to be mounted vertically. What say you?

Thanks!

57891[/snapback]

There could be loads of reasons for it false alarming, and it probably needs replacing. The sensor bases can be mounted vertically or horizontally, but the word aritech, in the centre, must be horizontal.

If you don't know......ask.

Guest JohnD

Shock sensors often not such a good idea particularly on uPVC windows where they are less effective. Often much better to have quality PIR covering a room - unless you have pets or there's something else special re the location being protected.

Archived