Security Installer Community

Outloook Express

Guest PhAlarms

Guest PhAlarms
You should be aware though that most ISP`s wont allow you to use their POP servers to collect mail indefinately if you no longer have an account with them.

I assume that eircom used to be your ISP before you moved to your current provider.

They are the national carrier for Ireland I first signed up to there dial up service (pay as you use) and then there premium service but with all the competition over here there prices are mad :realmad:

I have my personal e-mail address with them since 1998 and as long as I log in to collect mail it still works.

I didn

Ok,

You need to set up an account in OE for the wireless account.

The outgoing mail server address is smtp.irishbroadband.ie

You may need to follow the steps as before for "server requires authentication"

but in the settings area select the button "Log on using" and fill out account name & password using the account name & password for your irishbroadband connection, not your eircom ones.

Then follow the instructions from my previous post about making it default etc.

Trade Full Member

Guest PhAlarms
newbec  Posted Today, 05:55 PM

Ok,

You need to set up an account in OE for the wireless account.

The outgoing mail server address is smtp.irishbroadband.ie

You may need to follow the steps as before for "server requires authentication"

but in the settings area select the button "Log on using" and fill out account name & password using the account name & password for your irishbroadband connection, not your eircom ones.

Then follow the instructions from my previous post about making it default etc.

Thanks Newbec will give that a try

Regards

Paul.

Normally, in such situations, all you need to do is set up Outlook so that the Incoming mail server is the one where your mail arrives (i.e. your old ISP) and the outgoing server is the ISP you're connected to. As someone remarked earlier there are restrictions to prevent relaying, doing it like this works fine (usually).

Normally, in such situations, all you need to do is set up Outlook so that the Incoming mail server is the one where your mail arrives (i.e. your old ISP) and the outgoing server is the ISP you're connected to.

57436[/snapback]

* quoted for agreement.

As someone remarked earlier there are restrictions to prevent relaying, doing it like this works fine (usually).

57436[/snapback]

* quoted for non-agreement. ;)

It used to be the case that pretty much most SMTP servers were accessible to all but I have noticed more and more ISP's are restricting SMTP access to users connected through their internet connection service only. All you need to do if this is the case is change the SMTP server to whoever you are currently connected through, or use an SMTP server from someone who allows access with autentication, which not all do.

• 1 month later...
Guest Dobbin

Paul

I know that I am coming a bit late to this debate but this is a common problem for a lot of people.

Because the charges between ISPs change so much loyalty tends to change and you move to someone doing three times the speed at half the cost!

The only problem is you need to change your POP3 email address again to that of the new ISP.

THere are a couple of ways around this.

1. Sign up for a free web based email service (e.g. Hotmail, Yahoo etc.). Not always very professional if using it for business purposes or all the best email names are used.

2. Get you own domain and email account.

I did number 2 (although I have a number 1 also!)(please don't start with the toilet humour!) and signed up for my own domain with a company called 1and1. This is surprisingly cheap. It costs £2 per annum for the domain name and £0.69 a month for the email services.

You then can use <anyname>@<yourdomainname>.co.uk (or .biz etc.)

This is totally portable if you change ISPs and enables you to change ISPs without having to change your POP3 email address.

Have a look here 1and1 email

Don't know if you can get their product in Ireland but there are plenty more providers like them. If anyone wants anymore info please let me know.

Dobbin

Archived