Security Installer Community

Help

What makes you think 2000 is still on? Windows wouldnt have upgraded/ installed if there was a hint of a problem I wouldnt have thought. Also, I believe XP is windows 2000 based anyway so alot of files may have windows2000 names in them.

Thats fairly definate I would say then LOL

The new windows has partitioned your drive so you can boot up using windows 2000 or windows XP - some people have them set like this so they can run different programs that may not be compatible with one platform or the other :)

Now that Im not sure on sorry :( - I thought there was an option on the install setup programme - and it asks you do you want to keep the previous version of windows you should click no, but again check with another member before hand :)

how do i get rid

55744[/snapback]

It depends how "rid" you want to be of it.

Do you just want the choice to disappear - that's easy.

Or do you want to release all the space that W2K is taking up. That's probably not too difficult either.

But, like opening up an alarm controller, this can be dangerous!

If you don't know what you're doing you could kill your computer.

What do you want to do?

Andrew

get rid completley but for some reason i cant get network to connect to net either and loaded drivers etc

55749[/snapback]

It sounds like you probably did an install of XP "alongside" 2000 and it's maybe missing some drivers. Laptops are notorious for having funny bits of hardware that need special drivers so you may be a bit stuck.

Can you connect T'internet and run windows update on XP? That might fix it.

Obviously I wouldn't advise removing anything until it's working 100%.

You may be best reverting to 2000 and removing XP. Then reinstalling XP, but as an upgrade.

Or did you want a clean install?

Don't know why you'd want to keep XP and get rid of 2000 but if that's the way you want it....... (I've got dual boot 2000 and XP here, but never use the XP bit as it doesn't do anything properly, anyway, on with the story).......

If you've only just reinstalled XP the best bet would be start the process of reinstallation again, but make sure you read all of the options that the Windows installation process asks you. It will check the drive for previous versions of Windows and then at some point ask you whether you want to keep or overwrite the 2000 version.

Archived