Security Installer Community

Setting up on your own, how did it go for you?

Guest IM_Alarms

I could never go back to being employed! ................... Who would be able to put up with any of us!!

I've had 22 years of it and I can assure you it gets easier the longer you are at it.

Best advice for spotting people who aren't intending to pay........... they aren't worried by the price (this ring alarm bells for me- excuse the pun).

When I started off I struggled from day to day as I was too scared to ask for an advance. Now, if you are not sure or they are a new client, ask them for 30% on delivery of materials (before you start work). Any excuse for not paying on delivery of materials is a sign of whats to come.......... don't install, get out and take your materials with you. You will not find it easy to remove materials once fitted (Legal minefield).

Be as professional as you can, paperwork will be a bind, but will save your ass when necessary. Don't buy cheap tools or fit cheap materials. Get a VAN, dress like a workman not a tramp, use safety gear (you can't afford time off because you have swarf in your eye).

As already mentioned get public liability, good accountant and use business link, it's free (2-visits anyway). As you already have done, don't be frightened to ask for advise.

Good Luck, don't expect too much for first year or two, if you break even that is great. :yes:

As already mentioned get public liability, good accountant and use business link, it's free (2-visits anyway). As you already have done, don't be frightened to ask for advise.

54035[/snapback]

What do you mean free for only 2 visits ?

Just one point on the van. I have a jeep loaded up use it for work at weekends and nights take tools out (less chance of them being stolen) and use jeep as my car. only ONE insurance and road tax. Fair enough if you have fleet insurance but I dont and I dont want to pay insurance for a car and van and I dont go to work for myself to drive around in a van on my time off. Just a thought

Guest IM_Alarms

I understand that some people look to do things to save money, which is good, but you must look at things from the customers view, they watch programmes like house of horrors and get an impression of what a dodgy workman looks like from these. I have had a lot off feedback from my customers over the years and they become suspiscious of people working from personal cars, hand full of tools cattered in the back, over-loaded, steps on roof, ripped jeans etc. In my experience, the sort of people who will put up with their tradesmen turning up like that are the ones who want everything done on the cheap. You as a professional should want more from your customers and be prepared to think and act more professional to get it. I have tried scruffy, unorganised and in car , then tried a more professional approach.......... I know what works for me. You can try it for yourself or trust me, but why not ask your customers what they prefer.

I wear a toolbelt which is well equiped and organised, one day a boy said to his parent,''look at that workman'', I pointed to my labourer who was working away on the other side of the room without any belt and a bit scruffy, said,'' what does he do for a job?'' and the boy said,'' don't know''.............. made sense to me!! ;)

I totally understand what you are saying but now look at it from my view point. I arrive in my clean jeep dressed in clothes with company logo on fleece polo shirt and clean work trousers. The jeep is fitted out with darkned windows and custom built racking in the rear ladders on a Thule aero bar system. I arrive ON TIME and do what I am supposed to do. I KNOW I am lucky as I do not advertise all my work is based on personal recommendations and around 80% of my workload is on time and materials without a price. Some of the others on here have employees working for them and have to chase more work but my outlook is work four days a week for good money of five for less you choose. Again most of my customers do not want a van coverd in writing pulling up to the door they want descretion and a professonal job. It is horses for courses and I have seen plenty of house of horror where as long as you can pay the tick the rouges have a new shiney van too. The quality of the workmanship and product fitted should speak for its self MORETHAN the image of the company.

Tool belts are great, well most of the time. They are a bit of a nightmare on domestics. Ive got a makita one, looking at 200 quids worth of gear when fully loaded.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

and the impending takeover of our firm by the boss' son is another reason for thinking baout it (ie going from a good guy to an idiot!)

Family run firms :no: Don't you just love em :stab:

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Having worked for many years on BT, endless performance reviews, proper greivance proceedures etc, it took me a long time to get used to working for smaller firms, especially those that have the whole family involved, I saw much wrong and it got right up my nose watching mummy covering up for son's incompetence, but that's one for the pub :roflmao:

2 years S/E for me doing ok, but when it came to actually going for it properly (SSAIB / NSI etc) I was offered a good deal by an established firm and took the easy option. Often wonder what would have been the outcome if I'd gone for it alone, but I do admire you guy's who have & I hope you reap the rewards of all the effort. ;)

Chris

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Archived