Security Installer Community

meridian engineering manuals

Guest mrrfj00

Guest mrrfj00

can anybody please help.i left bt after 20yrs service as a systems engineer and am just starting up on my own.i have tried in vain to get my meridian course manuals but bt wont release them to me.i need any engineering manuals on option 11 and the ccc.

regards rob

Hello Rob

You are going to struggle like mad to get hold of those manuals, you have been on the course and are ex-BT systems and you are struggling - imagine what it is like for the rest of us.

I have a box full of various Options 11 stuff - sys admin/manuals etc, which I occasionally pull out to check on things etc (for interconnections with Option 11, I don't maintain it), but I would not be keen to let them go as would not be able to replace them.

There are a few independent Meridian Options 11 maintainers, they will probably not let theirs go unless you are wroking for them, perhaps offer your sevices as a contractor and they might help you out?

Occasionally you might see them on Ebay.

I think your choices of getting them off the OEM are as about as likely as getting them off BT - it is very much a closed system for support.

Regards

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

Hello Rob

You are going to struggle like mad to get hold of those manuals, you have been on the course and are ex-BT systems and you are struggling - imagine what it is like for the rest of us.

I have a box full of various Options 11 stuff - sys admin/manuals etc, which I occasionally pull out to check on things etc (for interconnections with Option 11, I don't maintain it), but I would not be keen to let them go as would not be able to replace them.

There are a few independent Meridian Options 11 maintainers, they will probably not let theirs go unless you are wroking for them, perhaps offer your sevices as a contractor and they might help you out?

I think your choices of getting them off the OEM are as about as likely as getting them off BT - it is very much a closed system for support.

Regards

Simon

53242[/snapback]

Simon - if all else fails could he possibly have a photocopy of one of them that he might need at the time?, obviously he would pay any costs if all his other options fail him - just an idea,

regards Dave.

Simon - if all else fails could he possibly have a photocopy of one of them that he might need at the time?, obviously he would pay any costs if all his other options fail him - just an idea, 

regards Dave.

53293[/snapback]

No ! - don't have the time to copy to find a photocopier and do that amount of copying, do you know how many manuals there are and how thick !!

Look something up and put it on email - yes.

Suppose if desperate, might allow one or two out of my hands for a week or so for him to get it copied, would need an address south of Watford mind that I could reach in case it never came back !!

Problem is with the Meridian is that it is so big with so many options and is so old - there is that many revisions - I know my stuff is way out of date, have very little info on I421e or the new IP side - still DASS2 only when my manuals were printed !

Maybe try Best4systems.co.uk, they do Meridian Option 11 parts, perhaps they can get hold of a manual set for you as well?

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

I didnt say all the manuals if you read my post, I suggested just the relevent one at the time. Appologies for the suggestion.

Guest mrrfj00
Hello Rob

Regards

Simon

53242[/snapback]

cheers simon and dave,unfortunatlely i live way north of the watford gap so that one is a no go i will check the website though.

ps as i am mainly bt systems trained if i were to branch out which would be the best and most common system to be trained on ?preferably ip enabled

regards rob

cheers simon and dave,unfortunatlely i live way north of the watford gap so that one is a no go i will check the website though.

ps as i am mainly bt systems trained if i were to branch out which would be the best and most common system to be trained on ?preferably ip enabled

regards rob

53530[/snapback]

Seriously Rob, if you need to check something and know the manual it is in, drop me a mail and I will see if I can look it up for you and if you really want to take a copy, I can probably trust a manual to go north for a bit - but remember mine are way out of date.

In terms of branching out, your BT training on system will stand you in good stead both privately and as a sub-contractor (esp Options 11), I take it that you wer in Big System division of BT ? Future training depends on what market you want to aim at SME, Corporate etc.

In the Small and SME side - The BT Pathway/Inspiration is a popular small switch and the NEC XN120 looks like it will do well (100 ports, IP connectivitiy as well), and of course Panasonic are always popular - have a look at the KXTDA range.

For bigger switches - personally I think the Avaya Definity is a great system, I know a little on this and if I was to step up to the corporate/larger customer then I would defintely consider this.

Mitel 3300 is another popular one, corporates and large hotels using this - with its IP connectivity for extensions.

Regards

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

Agreed with the above, apart from the NEC bit. I'm not really keen on their RJ11 idea. For every system you buy you have to either use all RJ11 sockets, which means changing existing ones on upgrades, or make\buy BT431 or RJ45 leads for all the handsets.

If I were to start again I'd stick with the Panasonics, I did the KX-TDA training last year and haven't had a reason to change. All the systems are expandable with cards for SLT's, VoIP, IP extensions, voicemail and pretty much anything else you can think of.

There is a thread on this forum with a lot of pros and cons of a lot of recent systems in it. Also a useful site in general for telecoms engineers. ;)

Hello Lurch

You know I agree totally with the RJ11 thing, its **** but the system is running off the shelves cos of the price.

And... more importatly I have it on good info that UK line cords are coming soon for the keyphones, so its just the CCU on RJ11 which can be tapped into a Box Con.

I am no Pana fan, but getting up to speed on the KXTDA will do you no harm, there is always work with Panasonic systems.

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

I have heard that, but still not really that keen on it. I've got a couple of DXE's on maintenance and I find them a bit quirky and awkward. Not really my cup of tea.

Archived