Security Installer Community

Weird Outlook 2002 problem (NOT Express)

amateurandy

Hi Folks, has anyone seen anything like this, or got any ideas?

I'm helping a friend add multiple email accounts to his PC; he used Outlook Express up to now. Adding the new accounts in works fine in OE.

BUT we decided that the full-blown Outlook that he has installed (but never used) with Office XP might be better. But Outlook (2002?) just doesn't want to see ANY of his email servers (old or new). It's like Outlook thinks there's no Internet connection.

He's on broadband from Freeserve (now Wanadoo) and NO it isn't their ****ing irrtating, illegal, restraint of trade practice that limits port 25 access to other peoples email servers.

Being Microsoft I'm inevitably cynical, and a reinstall is probably required, but all reasonable alternatives will be investigated.

Thanks,

Andrew

PS I can access it all from my PC with Outlook under XP. He's on XP too, fully service-packed etc.

This is going to sound a daft question, but why Outlook? If OE works fine, why switch to something that doesn't work?

Can't say as I can remember Outlook off the top of my head, I use Thunderbird here. I can do it if it's in front of me, I'll see if I can have a go when I get a machine with Outlook on it.

Try this site...

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2002.htm

49097[/snapback]

Thanks j.paul, useful site I hadn't seen before, though I can't see anything directly relevant unfortunately.

And in answer to Lurch "This is going to sound a daft question, but why Outlook?"

The answer is that because, apart from this problem, Outlook does a lot more a lot better than OE.

Think Galaxy vs any DIY panel you care to name! :rolleyes:

And in answer to Lurch "This is going to sound a daft question, but why Outlook?"

The answer is that because, apart from this problem, Outlook does a lot more a lot better than OE.

Think Galaxy vs any DIY panel you care to name!  :rolleyes:

49099[/snapback]

Sort of, but using Outlook over OE is more like using an Optima with expanders and partitions, over a straight 8 zone it's still MS at the end of the day;).

Outlook doesn't do anything better, it does extra things. It collects and filters email the same way, and everything else that OE does Outlook does. Outlook just has loads of extra **** like calendars and reminders on it.

Does it not see any servers, POP or SMTP? Can you telnet to them from the machine in question and send and receive that way?

Sort of, but using Outlook over OE is more like using an Optima with expanders and partitions, over a straight 8 zone it's still MS at the end of the day;).

Outlook doesn't do anything better, it does extra things. It collects and filters email the same way, and everything else that OE does Outlook does. Outlook just has loads of extra **** like calendars and reminders on it.

Does it not see any servers, POP or SMTP? Can you telnet to them from the machine in question and send and receive that way?

49100[/snapback]

Lurch, I sort of agree with you on the first 2 points; as you say it is MS. But it's all those extras that would be quite useful in this situiation.

OE is running fine on the same PC; that's what's really odd. But thinking about it, I haven't checked if Outlook can access things like Hotmail. It definitely doesn't see any POP or SMTP servers, where OE does. The configurations (given the differences in how you do it in practice) appear identical between O2002 and OE.

Bl**dy Microsoft! banghead

McAfee, in my experience, is a nightmare. The only way I found to turn it off was to uninstall it. I've heard others say that after uninstalling McAfee things just started working.

Other than that, ...........

McAfee, in my experience, is a nightmare. The only way I found to turn it off was to uninstall it. I've heard others say that after uninstalling McAfee things just started working.

Other than that, ...........

49114[/snapback]

Good point. Odd that OE works though and O2002 doesn't. You would think that McAfee would b****r them up equally.

Archived