Security Installer Community

fitting box to hanging tiles

Guest roland

Guest Guest
Ditto to what Pete said but cool the drill bit regularly, I usually take the bell lid up the ladder with me and put a cup full of water in it.

And to re emphasise......DO NOT USE HAMMER.

42352[/snapback]

thanks for all the handy advice guys. in answer to one of the questions, no i don't have any facia just rafters.

to be honest the reason i asked the question was because i was very worried about touching the tiles let alone drilling them.

someone suggested placing it on a wall, i do have brickwork upto about 8' high, but i thought this was too low to fit the siren. i think i'm correct in saying they are tamper proof, would it be safe for me to fit the siren only 7' to 8' off the ground?

I've got hanging tiles on my house so the SAB went on a brick pillar at the side, have you not got this bit? Alternatively, try and work out where the batens are and secure something solid and flat through the battens to the brick so you've got a solid fixing to the brick below. Remember the spring for rear tamper protection will need a flat surface to be mounted on and also function correctly.

The other option is the gable end, much easier. If you want visibility from the front then fit a strobe to the soffitt at the front.

The higher you can get it the better, I'd only fit a bell at low level if there is absolutely no other option whatsoever.

I have done this before and as long as you are patient you should be ok! but follow these tips

1.Use a good ladder that is steady and can be adjusted to exactly the right height to drill without stretching.

2.Use a mains drill on the fastest speed you can not a battery drill(As the other guys have said NO HAMMER).

3.Buy a new drill bit the right size for the screws and the right colour rawl plugs(get this wrong and the screw will split the tile) make sure the screws are the correct length for the sounder base and the tile thickness.

4. When you drill make sure you are comfortable on the ladder and feel safe as it will take a long time, this is because you must put as little pressure behind the drill as possible and let the drill bit do the work as the other guys have rightly said if you can, cool the bit as you drill or buy a couple of bits so that you are always using a sharp bit.

5.TAKE YOUR TIME!!! if you try to rush it the tile will split but if you follow these tips you should be fine!!

Good luck and let us all know how you get on!! Paul :yes:

Guest IM_Alarms

The other thing is, are they concrete tiles or clay? as tile drills are no good in concrete tiles. If you're not sure how to identify them search on-line for clay / concrete roof tiles, you should be able to find pics.

Guest Guest

I wouldn't worry about tile drills just make sure the NEW drill bits are titanium as I said before and the mains drill will do the bussiness!Paul :yes:

Guest securityconsultant
I wouldn't worry about tile drills just make sure the NEW drill bits are titanium as I said before and the mains drill will do the bussiness!Paul :yes:

42460[/snapback]

More then anything Take Your Time

If you follow all the abovetips and don't over tighten the screws use the right size plugs screws and drill bit you should be fine

Also remember that you have to all the way through to route the cable .

If theres no wall in the loft and you can get to the back of the tiles

get two people and screw the box into a block ofwood inside the loft

A lot of hangging tile hpouses just have a plywood sheet behind the tiles if thats the case slowly though tje tile and into the wood but make sure the hole in the tile is bigger then the screw

Good Luck and wait for a nice day its a long job :cry:

Archived