Security Installer Community

How long is normal for a quote to be sent?

Guest pmdonovan

Guest pmdonovan

Following recommendations in another thread, I rang around a couple of installers and the first visited last Wednesday morning. Everything seemed fine and the areas I was concerned with were discussed and a thorough survey conducted.

Last thing the installer said was that he'd drop a copy of the quote in the post. It now being Sunday and the company is less that 10 minutes from where I live, I still haven't received the quote. I would call, but I don't want to appear impatient, etc as I have no idea how long it takes to prepare a quote.

What, in your experience, is a reasonable time to wait for a quote to arrive?

Grateful for your help

Paul

If you havnt received a quote by monday morning, I`d call the company to enquire what the hold up is.

Most quotes are usually sent out about 2 days after being presented at the office.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Guest pmdonovan

Quote arrived this morning! Would be really grateful if you could cast your eyes over the equipment specified and offer any comments or advice.

Front door - magnetic contact switch

Hall - Scantronic 420 PIR

Living Room - Scantronic 420 PIR

Dining Room - Scantronic 420 PIR

Rear french windows - magnetic contact switch

Study French window - magnetic contact switch

Study - Scantronic 420

Utility Room - Scantronic 420

All upstairs windows (x5) - Viper 3 inertia shock sensor

PA button located next to bed

Scantronic 9930 keypad in hall with Scantronic 9851 in loft

Extension speaker fitted in kitchen/dining room

Sound bomb fitted in study

Texecom Odyssey 2 external sounder

Dummy box at rear

Quote is for £895 + VAT

The house is of an unusual configuration, with low pitched roofs around it, allowing access to the first floor, hence the shock sensors. All downstairs rooms are covered by PIR. Windows in utility room and study back onto waste land, hence the PIR in the utility room. System is bells only.

What do you think? The installer seems a genuine individual and is SSAIB approved.

Grateful for your comments on the equipment specification

Paul

Guest pmdonovan

Pete,

Thanks for the quick response! The main panel is to be situated in a 'sub loft' which is between the roof of an extension and the main body of the house.

So far I have had one of the '£250 all installed' companies round and the one which has provided the quote. The '£250' company was a non-starter as I wanted a professional job doing and I wasn't convinced that they were capable of that. Was very impressed with the survey report which the second company sent and the surveyor was a genuinely nice guy, who is also an installer from a family company. Have done some research in the area and have found that they have a few installations in the area, but are well thought of slightly further north in Lancashire. Pondering whether to get one more quote, or just go for it. Will wait for any more comments on the hardware before I make a decision!

Paul

As Pete says, the equipment is well known, and well liked by most engineers. For an approved company it is a reasonable price, but i`d probably estimate a 3 day install for one chap doing a good job. It just depends on what hours they work.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Archived