Security Installer Community

vipers and water

Guest triffid

Guest triffid

Hi, here is an interesting problem. Wooden frame conservatory, glazed three sides, 5 metres square, two french doors, one other door, tow side windows, 1 cat (6 kilo) and 2 dogs (10 and 15 kilos) who come and go through nifty dogflap system. Currently has 4 vipers, one mounted horizontally over each door frame and one mounted vertically on each window frame. Also has magnetic sensors on each door. Problem is now winter is here there is considerable condensation presumably due to lots of plants and water bowl being present and temperature variations. Windows vipers appear to fill with water running off roof causing faults/activations. First checked vipers and applied silicon sealant. Not too successful. Have moved windows vipers to top of frame, horizontal mount and added 5mm MDF back plate to try and lift off drip area. Have also looped wire to prevent water running into unit. In order to get a good double trip for alarm it would be useful to have this room wired. Animals and water create problems. PIR would suffer with heat extremes in summer. One suggestion is to move security one room back (towards house), install PIR in kitchen (2m x 5m, door at each end), but would still have problems with pets (coming and going and cat on worktops.

Could vipers be sealed with silicon?

Are there waterproof vibration detectors?

Is there another way to protect this area?

You could use twin ir beams mounted at approx 3ft high, but they're ugly and expensive. It is a suggestion though!

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Hello mate,

There is no problem with using silicone to seal the detectors, there are some good pet friendly detectors available now the Pyronix Enforcer I have used lots without trouble. Also the DSC (Cant remember the No.) and Pyronix K980 work well, but it depends on the application there are rules for use that have to be adhered to.

Pete

Direct Security Systems (Midlands) Ltd

Big Jig.

Trade Member

Quality Manager

Direct Security Systems (Midlands) Limited

NSI Gold.

Good engineers always ask questions!!

Archived