Security Installer Community

ISDN

Lectrician

Just need one analouge line then for the broadband. (and that seems a waste, as thats a wasted speech line!)

33857[/snapback]

Confirm that the broadband connection is ADSL and not SDSL, otherwise there will be no speech analogue line either, just needs a quick test with the phone, often now BT are presenting SDSL on an NTE5 without the 431a telephone socket.

The PDQs generally do work as Lurch explained, so as well as allocating an analogue extension for them, they will need their own DDI allocated as they do answer all incomign calls at a set time.

From what you have explained, the best solution does seem ISDN rather than mutiple analogue lines, just need to work out their useage of external llines simulaneously to see how many ISDN2 lines are needed (or perhaps even ISDN30 if more than 8ch and they are likely to expand etc).

Regards

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

I have looked into PBX's today, and the newer ones do dial in, which i was unaware of - learning all the time B)

I moved two PDQ points in a surf shop last week, each had its own line, and I connected the wrong machines to the sockets. They have swapped them over today, as they were not working. Seems they are tied to the line as everyone has said.

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

• 11 months later...
Guest Gti Jazz Blue

Just to throw into the pot you also need to check how the PBX requires the 3 * 2E configured as you can have them in Point to Point or Point to Multipoint. Point to Point is usual for a PBX and Point to Multipoint alows you to have multiple ISDN devices on the 2E. I think the default config if you just order a 2E is for it to be in Point to Multipoint.

Paul

• 1 month later...

Its all mentioned above Paul, but your post is correct, if you want PTP for a PBX, BT normally call this System Access nowadays as opposed to Standard Access of PMP.

But it still amazes me how many consultants I do installs for manage to order 1 PMP with 10 MSNs on and 2 other PMPs 2e's each with a separate number normally via a BT wholesale reseller so it takes an age to get it sorted and then moan cos they charged for another visit - all because they don't know enough about telecoms (or the importance of asking) to get the order right first time.

Last one I had with a consultant was not his fault, the reseller's internal system meant they had to fax another office with the order to go online to BT, so they kept re-using the same template, just changing the B-end termination details - problems was original template has 2 x ISDN2e PMP on it so this same order went to BT every time they used it.

Too many administrstors involved in the process who do not understand the importance of entering an order correctly and how failing to do so results in failed installs, extra installation costs and angry customers !

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

Archived