Security Installer Community

surface door detectors

Guest hillsy

Phew!!!!

Thanks guys for all the response's!

DNS has hit the nail on the head. I should of been more precise yes it is a pvc door which has an inner seal so is not flush with the frame. I will try those websites and see how I get on. It is the contact on the frame which needs to be thicker so that it can be level with the door magnet, a contact cant actually go on the top so needs to be on the actual door!

Thanks again guys

Just a thought: Have you actually tried putting a pair of conventional contacts on the door and frame (with blu-tack?) to see what actually happens as the door opens. Just listen for the click of the reed switch or use a meter. You may be surprised! :)

I had a similar problem on a sliding patio door and had to mount the switch about half an inch inboard on the frame and rotated 90 degrees too, but the operating range was fine. I did orient the switch so that the reed was as close as possible to the magnet as it wasn't symmetrical inside. :D

If that doesn't work just screw a block of white-painted wood or plastic to the frame and fix the switch to that.

And what about flush contacts? Can anyone more professional than me comment on their availability/suitability for PVC doors?

If your door is a standard uPVC door then you don't need any additional bracketry to fit the contact, as amateurandy says do a test fit first and check what works and what doesn't. Ignore the arrows on the devices, as long as the arrow on the contact is pointing somewhere in the general direction of the magnet it'll probably work.

Or just put one contact on top of the other i.e. using the first contact as a spacer - youll have to experiment and make a hole through the first contact for the wire to go neatly through to the working contact - then finish off with some neat decorators caulk around the contact to neaten the whole thing up.

Archived