Security Installer Community

Problem with Accenta Keypad

Guest jimjim999

Guest jimjim999

Hello All!

Just a quick query - I have recently had a Accenta G3 box installed by a friend who used to be in an alarm installer, with 3 accenta keypads (one of them is accenta plus keypad, the other 2 are 'normal' accenta keypad), and there's one panic button too. :P

Anyway, I notice now that the one keypad is lit up (backlit) all the time, but the power and day lights seem to most of the time be off, and none of the keys work. The strange thing is, sometimes, the power and day buttons light up and then and the keypad is ok for a few seconds or so. It's almost as if the keypad has a loose connection - although we have checked the connections they are all secure.

The alarm sets fine, etc, it's just this intermittant keypad that is a bit strange.

The other keypads are all installed in parallel with this keypad, and they are functioning fine all the time; and it's because of this that my installer friend says it must be a dodgy keypad because the other keypads are receiving the same 'information' down the line from the same source if you know what I mean. He says to get another one and replace it. :unsure:

Just before I do this does anyone else know maybe what this might be?

Many thanks for your help in advance!

Pete

Sounds plausable.

I'd swap it for another keypad and see if the problem follows it. If it does then exchange the keypad.

If the fault stays in the same place then I'd be inclined to unwire all the keypads and (re)-test all the cables.

Guest jimjim999
Sounds plausable.

I'd swap it for another keypad and see if the problem follows it. If it does then exchange the keypad.

If the fault stays in the same place then I'd be inclined to unwire all the keypads and (re)-test all the cables.

32252[/snapback]

Thanks Lurch; I'll get a replacement ASAP! B)

Get your installer friend to check that the cable to the keypad with the intermittent fault is not damaged. He should know all the checks to make to ensure the cable is ok.

Fault finding is a process of elimination.

The 3 main things to check are the control panel, cable and device.

1. The control panel can be ruled out as the other keypads are functioning ok.

2. The cable can be ruled out by putting a working keypad at the location of the faulty one.(If it works ok, the cable must be ok)

3. The keypad can be ruled by above method, if the working keypad works ok at both locations, it is likely to be, as your installer friend suggested, a faulty keypad.

:)

If you don't know......ask.

Guest jimjim999
As did I, Peter.

:)

32257[/snapback]

OK, yes I could swap over one of the working ones then with the dodgy one to see if it's the cable or keypad that's knackered.

Thanks everyone! :D

Archived