Security Installer Community

8400 Scantronic Digicom

Steve K

I've recently installed my first monitored alarm. It's a Sterling 10 connected to a Scantronic 8400 digicom. It works fine, except that the ARC are continuing to get 'Low Battery' signals from pin 10.

An 8400 is only an eight pin digicom, and it transpires that the digicom itself is originating the output signal, hence pin 10.

I have spoken to the ARC and they have sent me a new chip, which I have fitted. I am still getting the same low battery signal. The panel 12V 7A battery is fine, measures 13.67V, and 6.01Ah. The input power to the digicom is also 13.67V.

I spoke to Scantronic Techy Guys, and they said to remove all wires from ST1-ST8 and strap to the ST+ terminals and see if this cured the problem. I get no signal being sent to ARC when I do this. (Good news me thinks!)

I removed all straps to ST+ terminals, and reconnected ST1-ST3 connections as before. Low battery is again being sent out to the ARC.

Reading the installation sheet provided with the 8400, I find the 'Wiring 8400 and 8440' details confusing. Surely the alarm outputs from the Sterling just go to the pre-designated pins (Alarm, PA and set/unset)? and the + & -ve go to the 12V & 0v terms?

Any suggestions from anyone?

:wacko:

Thanks

Steve K

Steve Kendall

Plymstock Security Systems

CCTV, Intruder Alarms, Security Lighting & Access Control

Covering Plymouth, Plymstock, Plympton, South Devon and South East Cornwall

Guest Adrian

B) hi Steve

was going to download a copy of the instructions for your comunicator. But it wasn't listed on the scantronic site, is it definetly an 8400

I have used tons of the scantronic comunicators and the only time I have had one that had the same problem you have the digi was duff and had to be replaced.

Do all the signals go as planed? have you tryed connecting one pin at a time untill it starts to fire the low battery.

Thats all I can help you with for now.

good luck

Adrian B)

Assuming the Digi is situated in another box or PSU, have you commoned up the negatives so both panel and psu are functioning at the same ZERO referance voltage.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Thanks to everyone who's replied.

I didn't get the opportunity to speak to the ARC today, but will do so tomorrow.

I'm sure I'll sort the problem now one way or t'other!

I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks Guys! ;)

Steve K

Steve Kendall

Plymstock Security Systems

CCTV, Intruder Alarms, Security Lighting & Access Control

Covering Plymouth, Plymstock, Plympton, South Devon and South East Cornwall

Archived