Security Installer Community

help for a novice

Guest nigelbt

Guest nigelbt

Hi ,this seems like a site that may help me, i have been given a ademco microtech galaxy 16+ by a friend and have decided to try ti install it myself,unfortunately i do not know have any idea about how the door contacts and pir's are to be wired up,im not completely useless but having never done this before iam at a loss,the door contacts are unmarked and i am not sure which connections on the panel relate to which on the contacts,i think i can work out connection to pirs and bell as they are labelled either end on unit and pcb but i would really appreciate some help if possible with contacts, and even info on other units in case i do get it wrong would be a great help, thanks,NIgel.

Hi Nigel and Welcome to the forums,

:) You picked a fine panel to start off on.

The Galaxy panel requires two 1K end of line resistors to be connected to each sensor to complete a resistive loop, 1K indicating the circuit is closed and 2K indicating the circuit is open.

On a contact you will normally see 2 Chrome Screws (The Contact) and 2 or 3 brass screws (Not connected to anything just used to connect wires). You will need to wire a 1K resistor accross the 2 chrome screws and another 1K resistor from the one chrome screw to any brass screw, connecting the wiring at the two ends where the resistors are not joined together.

At the panel end only 2 wires would be used to connect the zone, you will notice that the panel has a common connection between every 2 zones, the middle connection being common to both zones.

Hope this help you, just let me know if you have any further queries.

user posted image

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Guest nigelbt

Thanks Dave you have been a great help already,really fastreply, i will sort this out contact you on this string if i have any more problems (which is probable) cheers,Nigel.

Guest nigelbt

Hi again Dave ,another question if thats ok, i have fitted an outside bell now and the connections on the bell are as follows:-

trigger -ve

hold +

hold -

strobe

tamper return

the hold connections are easy enough and strobe, the tamper return i assume is to be connected to the tamper connection on panel,but im not sure where the trigger is to be connected, can you help please?

thanks,Nigel.

Hello Again,

Here you can see the layout of a Galaxy 8, (I cant find my 16 manual). But this should be similar to yours.

galaxy1.jpg

This Drawing might help you out a little, you can see in the section marked R101, that there are numbers assigned to the outputs,

R101 1=Bell SW- (Trigger -)

R101 2=Strobe SW-

Also you will have a link accross 2 terminals marked Tamper Return, youll notice that one of them has a "T" marked on it, this is your tamper return and the other terminal that was looped with it will be your Hold-.

Hope this helps.

Guest nigelbt

Thanks Dave,i have connected them now and have applied power to the board now,i have connected the keypad to it with the line connection a + b and the + and - connections next to them,(i assumed this would be how it was connected, my friend said this was easy to do but he is not sure either, git) there is power getting to the keypad (green led is showing) but i have no display on the pad, do you have any suggestions as to what i am doing wrong, the panel was working ok beforehand im told so i assume it is something i have done, sorry to be a pain but i am lost as to what to do next ,thanks, Nigel.

Have you installed the 680 Ohm resistor between the A and B terminals on the keypad.. ? This is to tell the panel that this keypad is last inline. Even if only one keypad is used this resistor must be fitted.

Also you should be using 4 core shielded twisted pair cable on the data line and the cable screening should be grounded to the control panel body, although the use of screened cable is not too important if the keypad run is less than 30 feet and the wiring is kept away from any other means of electrical interferance.

Also there is a 16 way switch on the rear of the Keypad, if you have installed nothing else on the AB line then set this switch to "0", down power the system and repower for the changes to be recognised.

Guest nigelbt

thanks Dave,i havent used screened cable but the cable length is only about 5m,is this ok ,and i will have to get a resistor for the keypad but at least i know what it is, thanks, will try that once i do,its awful guessing with no instructions,i'm realy grateful for your help,Nigel.

No problem Nigel, only too glad to help.

That short run to the keypad should be fine, Im looking forward to your further queries when you try to sort out the programming :)

Archived