Security Installer Community

Baluns Keep Failing

paul44

Hi all, I have a site that has 8 analogue cameras. They are connected by cat 5e using all in one video and power baluns,

Ive  had 3  problems with cameras just dropping out. Each time it has been a case of replacing the balun.

The only reason I can think of is that 2 months ago one of the external waterproof boxes leaked and buggered the balun up. i replaced it and shortly after the psu died, possibly due to the balun outside shorting power out out.

All the ones that have failed since are internal, and are secure in enclosures.

Anyone had a problem like this before? Any ideas?

I went to a job that had been done by someone else who had used external cameras with a high power draw when the IRs were on.  The cables were all run in during a refurbishment.  I thought the cameras were burnt out at first, but once I cut the cable back & reterminated with new baluns they were OK again.  Only thing I noticed was that the installer had used copper clad aluminium CAT5 (CCA) which is never a good idea and I don't think the cable was man enough to handle the power draw.  I reckon I'll be recabling that one at some point!