Security Installer Community

Alarm advicefor DIY install

Guest manwithtool

Guest manwithtool

I'm sure this has been asked many times before ! But looking around the PA8 alarm from Response seems good value. I have fitted a cheap Wickes alam in my garage and had no problems over the last 10 years.

If the PA8 is not recommended, can anyone recommend a package that will include a seperate keypad, 4 PIR's 2 door sensors, and I'm interested in an auto dialler. I have a budget of around £200 although I could drop the auto dialler and fit it later. (I don't want a wirefree system)

System is for a 4 bed detached house with both front and rear doors being used for entrance. One door comes into the kitchen and the other into a hall. Both areas I think I would place a PIR in (maybe not the kitchen ?)

We are in the middle of extending the house and while everything is being ripped up it seems like a good oppotunity to install a wired system.

Any advice welcome, please avoid too much techy speak, and bear in mind the budget.

I would think you would be struggling to fit anything but low end stuff for a budget of £200, let alone an auto dialler which on its own can be anything from 50-80. If its a 4 bed detached im suspecting you may need more than 4 pirs. Most people on here including myself would recommend a panel that will leave you room for expansion, the smallest these days is 8 zones, all have separate keypads these days, which may be included with the panel depending on which you go for. The bigger panels will not include a keypad as they tend to offer 3 or 4 different types.

The general opinion you will probably get is not to cut corners on costs as you will find it will come back to haunt to later.

ps Dont touch the Response/Wickes type panels, the cardboard box they come in is more use.

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

id like to know where he gets those dialers for £50 though

Yes i think you might be right there, i think probably £65 upwards would be more realistic! :huh:

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

I'm not having a dig here but hear me out...

If i owned a 4 bed detached house i would be very proud and happy about that. I know it would have cost me a lot of money to buy the house and even more to extend it! Why is it you only wan to spend £200 on an alarm to protect this massive investment?

It is possible to do what you're after for around £300-£350 with decent equipment or you can use a crappy made in some far forgotten dump piece of unreliable rubbish for around £200

i would look at increasing your budget.

Guest manwithtool

cheers for all the advice, I think the auto dialler will have to wait and maybe the budget is perhaps a bit low....I've looked around and found a Kit from Texecom KIT11 which comes with an Excel Control panel cost from the wesite I looked at was £213 inc Vat..Looks like the control panel doesn't have a keypad so I would have to add another remote keypad, and as you all pointed out the auto dialler would be about another £85 on top.

I'll try and post a link to the site...

Again thanks for the help

http://www.alertelectrical.com/product.asp...D=0&prodID=3558

Hi there,

Some very good advice offered so far.

I was in exactly your position earlier this year, but hadn't found this forum at that time.

I bought a reasonable DIY kit with 8 zones for a 4-bed detached house. Cost around £300.

I'm now discovering that I really should have got something with expansion as it's full. So, I'm probably going to have to replace the controller sometime soon.

Not that I'm unhappy with what I got, but I know more now, mainly thanks to this place! :D

Guest manwithtool
Hi there,

Some very good advice offered so far.

I was in exactly your position earlier this year, but hadn't found this forum at that time.

I bought a reasonable DIY kit with 8 zones for a 4-bed detached house. Cost around £300.

I'm now discovering that I really should have got something with expansion as it's full. So, I'm probably going to have to replace the controller sometime soon.

Not that I'm unhappy with what I got, but I know more now, mainly thanks to this place!  :D

25463[/snapback]

Can you tell me what used up the 8 zones ? I'm probably not going to bother with upstairs so 4 PIR's downstairs and 2 doors front and back. Should leave me two spare ? maybe use one for a smoke alarm

Archived