Security Installer Community

linking optic fibre to a scantronic 9751?

mikeald

hi there, I am installing a scantronic 9751 panel ( I have installed hundreds of these). This is the easy part!!! The premises i am protecting is about half a mile away from the security lodge, and there are optic fibres already in place between the two buildings (installed years ago by another contractor). The customer wants me to use these existing fibres in order to trigger a normal 12v strobe in the security lodge to notify of an activation,(seems sensible). So basically i need to link the panel to the fibres somehow. However I don't have a clue how to do it!!!!! Any help and ideas greatly appreciated.

cheers

Intruder & Fire Member

Simple answer: Nope!

You can do it... it all depends on whether the fibre was dedicated... if it is then a simple LED/LDR setup could be installed with a few relays and 12v supply to power the strobe... so little LED comes on at one end of fibre, at other the LDR detects light triggers relay and turns strobe on.

If there is already other data going up and down the fibre (probably will be as can almost guarantee its a data link), then you will need to see if scantronic can get the ethernet module to work with the system and plug the module into the cat5 system which will go through a fibre switch down the cable... then at the other end you will need a PC to pick up the data packet and activate an onscreen warning, or possibly use the parallel port to activate a relay...strobe.

If there aint a ethernet device... then your gonna have to build something to take in an input and make a TCP/IP packet and route it to the correct location (if you really need to know how to build a device to create TCP/IP packets and send them... PM me and I will dig out some circuit diagrams).

D :)

If all you need to do is switch a strobe on and off then a radio link would be alot less hassle.

Imagine trying to sort a fault out years late if you're not familier with TCP or whatever :blink:

Fibre Options do a switch box, the smallest is 4 imputs but its about £1000.00 then whos going to make the fibre ends off, its easy to do if you have the tools but then again a good set off tools would cost you £500 upwards.

Check to see if the fibre is carry any sort of signalling already and if there is a spare port, TCP / IP if the network is already in then you still need a driver and interface.

Scope radio is far the cheapest option, but like dale said there may be data already down it so piggy back on this, and if thats the case then it could be cheaper than a scope pager setup.

No iam not a sales man, but Galaxy do a ethernet module.

Richard

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Fiber Options also do a data only TX and RX module which can take a NO/NC input. Wire this up to an O/P/relay etc, away you go....

I think the 2 module are around £150-£200 each.

Speak to a guy called Tom Exley at Fiber Options, don't know the number off hand!!

Hope this helps!

dale, yes it is a designated pair for the strobe ONLY, and the reason i am not using a radio link is because the surveyor said it MUST be done using the existing fibres ONLY. Can you possibly explain to me in more detail how i can trigger the strobe please dale? many thanks to all of u 4 replying

Intruder & Fire Member

Whats the strobe to indicate?

If the surveyor(I am assuming Insurance) has specified that you use the fibres, ask him to specify the equipment to be used.

If the device is connected to say a panic button and this is to summon assistance etc, then you need to be clear as to what BS standard the system has to comply with as you wont be able to monitor it for tampering. This may subsequently affect your insureance, as an istaller if you do not agree with the spec of the system, you need to raise this with the client and the surveyor as ultimately you installed the system and will be responsible.

On the other hand if its just for indication, put a master blaster on the security hut side of the building, they will then be able to here it.

Colin

i am fitting a master blaster as well! bottom line is that I MUST use the fibre to trigger the strobe. The building is derelict. I am just protecting the doors. There is NEVER anyone in the building! The alarm will always be set! I just need to know how to link up to the fibre! And u know wot security guards are like, they always fall asleep!

Intruder & Fire Member

Archived