Security Installer Community

Legislation & Standards In The Usa

Does anybody know where to get some information about legislation and standards to meet for CCTV/Security System Installers?

I know that there are specific standards for Alarm Units, Services and Systems provided by UL (http://www.ul.com/) but I'm not US citizen and I would like to know a bit more about how things work there.

If anyone could put some light on this issue, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

• 6 months later...

Howdy:-

I do not work in the United States market but I am close to a number of people who do.  In the U.S. security services generally are regulated by each individual state.  Some states are wide open - no requirement for licensing or training - other states require licenses, training and formal exams. 

Are you interested in any particular state, if so please let me know and I can likely give some guidance where you should look for more information.

Just a comment about UL - from a security point of view they establish "Standards" but in actual fact standards by themselves do not have the force of law.  However, when a standard in referenced in a code or regulation, then because of the reference they are enforceable.

Dave

• 1 year later...

I was licensed as an Investigator in 3 states and installed overt and covert cctv they all required different licenses permits and federal registration. most importantly however you needed to have a low voltage elec license  for anything including 12v cams.

pm me for more