Security Installer Community

Adding Audio To A Camera Over Cat5 Cable

Hi all,

I'm looking to add audio to existing cameras on an installation on a farm. The existing cabling feeding these cameras is cat5, can the audio be done over this cabling?? The audio in connections on the back of the dvr are BNC type, does this mean i can use baluns either end (with phono to bnc convertor at microphone end) and bobs your uncle??!! Also i will need sound to the existing monitor, the audio out connection on the dvr is also BNC type, will i be able to just add an audio cable between dvr and monitor with a phono to bnc convertor?? Also do you know of any good adjustable microphones to use??

Hope this explains all.

cheers-Steve

Hi Steve,

I've used this microphone with success. You might get intereference over a long length of cat5 - don't know, not tested it. nor the baluns.

http://cpc.farnell.c...e-bb45-00001001

You'll need a 12V supply to the microphone, and you can just use the correct BNC convertor, or make a lead up.

For testing the DVR ouput, I've used a std Internal Speaker (held close to the ear), so you'll need a monitor with volume control or a set of PC speakers.

Fairly simple really..

Good Luck.

Archived