Security Installer Community

Who fits what?

I'm just starting to look at fitting more alarms and want to settle on one or two decent panels and accessories to use rather than the ADE stuff I've been used to fitting. (sorry, I now realise that probably wasn't the best choice). If anyone spots anymore flaws in my plans please let me know!

I've just fitted a Texecom speech dialler and was impressed, (not that it was that hard to beat the ADE Informa), so I had a look round the Texecom site to see what else they've been up to. I was impressed with the Premier range and have downloaded the installation instructions, (I like to have a good read of the installation manual before even attempting to do anything with an unknown panel), and it seems a good piece of kit.

So, that's the panel then. Does anyone fit them in domestic installations or do you go for a more simple Veritas or similar panel?

I realise at this point that most of you are going to say use a Galaxy but as I don't fit that many alarms at the mo I'm not sure that's a good one to 'practice' on.

What about SAB's? I'm currently fitting CQR Protecta's as they have LED's that you can actually see, although I'm thinking of going back to the Azura 360's to keep that Texecom theme going.

Am I going in the right direction or should I just give up now before it's too late!

Guest RICHL

To be honest the Galaxy is just overkill for most domestic installations, you'll just price yourself out of the market if you use it.

Texecom gear is fine for most bells only domestic jobs, the Premier stuff being an excellent piece of kit.

I think the best thing to do is have a look at all the manufacturers panels who have a range ie. for small jobs through to the big ones, find which you like the most and stick to it.

You dont have to use the same supplier for panels, bell boxes and detectors - in fact using more than one is better for many reasons, not least cash flow.

We use the Premier for any monitored jobs, small bells only domestics under 8 zones get an Excel or R8+. We used to use Menvier Networker stuff, also quality gear. On the bells side its Texecom Oddysseys, the engineer function is excellent.

Pirs are either Crow Genius, Texecom Prestige MR or Visonic.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

We use the Premier for any monitored jobs, small bells only domestics under 8 zones get an Excel or R8+. We used to use Menvier Networker stuff, also quality gear. On the bells side its Texecom Oddysseys, the engineer function is excellent.

Pirs are either Crow Genius, Texecom Prestige MR or Visonic.

19542[/snapback]

I seem to be going in the right direction then, I've used Visonics for a while and was just looking at the Texecom Prestige range of PIR's.

The only thing that's putting me off the Veritas at the moment, and was a few years ago, is the cheap and ugly looking LED keypad, though the RKP with the Veritas Excel seems to look the part.

I'll agree with the comments on the engineer function, very useful.

Does anyone change the panels they use from time to time or do you just use the more recent versions of ones you have been using for a while, (I suppose the simple question is does anyone have any brand loyalty)?

Guest Guest
and was a few years ago, is the cheap and ugly looking LED keypad, though the RKP with the Veritas Excel seems to look the part.

I would agree with you on the keypad front with the Texecom veritas but the excel keypad is a big improvement.

Not many of the guys who use Texecom all the time have said much about the veritas Led keypad. I sometimes wonder what they think if there using them day in day out and Texecom have not done much to them over the years, so i guess the masses must like them.

We use a lot of Gardtec equipment and have found it very good have a look at the cp8l and the 593 Gardtec Website

Colin.

I spent over 7 years fitting Menvier TS790 for domestics and TS900 to TS2500 for large commercials and also Gardiner stuff. From the old G500 then the G350 and G800/840. A change of employer and I haven't touched any Gardiner panels for nearly 2 years.

Sentry Alarms, who employ me, were using all types of Ademco Vista's, all types of Abacus including the Rebel, a few Aritechs CD90 mostly and the odd Scanny. Besides still holding about £10k of that stuff in stock to cover future repairs and the likes, we've shifted completely to Texacom. All our installations have the large screen LCD RKP's as standard too. Even domestics get the lower end Premiers.

My personal favourite panel is the TS790 and TS690ID from Menvier. As impractical is it may sound, I have a TS690IDM in my home.

Tony

ACE.gif

My personal favourite panel is the TS790 and TS690ID from Menvier. As impractical is it may sound, I have a TS690IDM in my home.

Tony

19553[/snapback]

You're just showing off now!

The other slight problem I have is getting hold of any panel I want. I can get the Texecom stuff fairly easily but as I don't do many installations at the moment trade places aren't too keen at giving me any discounts, so the likes of the Galaxy and TS690 are a bit pricey!

Im all for brand loyalty... I think the sun shines out of Texecoms rear end, and quite frankly with the Premier panels, software (PC-Com), support... it does!

Take a look at the Odyssey 4 sounders, I was looking at moving to Elmdene, but after testing a couple of Odyssey 4's I decided to stick to good old Texecom!

I agree they really need to do something about the Veritas LED keypads, I would be embarrased to install one!

Guest Adrian

B) I would say if you know texacom stuff and are happy using it then you may as well stick to it. If it does every thing you want, and your customers are happy. then why change.

I use gardtec stuff myself, still getting to know the panels cpl 8 and the 593 been using them for the last 4 months now and not had to go back to any of them yet.

I was brought up on ADE, scantronic and menvier

Have a TS690ID in my house.

Stay with texacom if your happy

Adrian. B)

As mentioned before, you do tend to side with a specific brand. Here in Hull, engineers have changed employers due to the equipment they install. Brand variation does have it's benefits though. Knowing a reasonable amount about several panels rather than knowing everything about a single panel does help on the service side. luckily, I've never been overwhelmed by the insecurity of not knowing what to do when i arrive on a site and it has control equipment I've never seen before.

Nowadays, once you've sampled an individual manufacturers control panel, the basic knowledge learnt can be used to great advantage across a full range of their panels. Take Scantronic as an example. If you're fluent in 9800 programming, you should have no problem programming any other panel in Scantronics range. The plus about Texacom and their Premier range, is those of us who have used Menvier stuff before should find the Premier range somewhat familiar.

Tony

ACE.gif

Archived