Security Installer Community

8418 Cctv

rob001

currently before the Police will issue a URN against a CCTV system the installer has to be inspected and approved for 8418 systems and the CCTV has to be installed to 8418. this is fine if the CCTV system is to provide security for an open site especially when its considered that trespass is a civil offence and not a criminal one which is why 8418 includes audible challenge facilities and the ARC operators aren't allowed to Police incidents unless they actually witness a criminal act being committed. what happens though if the site isn't open and someone has to either climb over a substantial fence or cut a hole through it. is that not an intrusion in the same way that breaking into a building is or is it still just trespass even though someone that has gone to length to gain access to a site which must surely be for more than just a nose around?

this is the case with one of our customers. they have a secure compound with a 6 foot high fence all round and barbed wire along the top of it but on more than one occassion they have suffered loses from the compound so we installed a detector activated CCTV system with a link to our ARC for conformation of people or wildlife in the compound. the entrance gate to the compound is secured with a monitored mag lock to prevent setting of the system unless the mag lock is energised and locked and setting and unsetting of the system is achieved via the intruder alarm system in the building with an external prox reader external to the compound and building. in effect we have made the compound a part of the alarm system using visual verification rather than the more common sequentially confirmed alarms and because the system is secured before being unset it complies with the spirit of DD243 and to be honest if the customer were to put a roof across the compound it would in fact be DD423 compliant using visual verification.

so what do we think? should we be able to request a URN from the Police for ths system and others like it? i think we should and as long as the compound is properly secured and i don't mean by a 4 foot high wall, and the system complies with the requirements of DD243 (assuming it was re written to include external alarm systems and as long as the signal is visually verified) i don't see any reason why external alarm systems such as these shouldn't be installed and URN's issued against them so i've recently spoken to our inspectorate regarding this and requested that they bring it up at the next ACPO meeting but obviously if both inspectorates and ACPO hear it from more than just one installer there is more chance that it may be allowed by ACPO in the future

I don't follow you TBH, if you want a URN for cctv extend your scope I can't see anybody helping you to gain URN's without having the correct approval as it takes the revune from the certs away.

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

Archived