Security Installer Community

VCL Ademco AHDR 9 Problems Help!

Selsport69

I am hoping someone can help me here. I am trying to connect up a remote site using the Ademco AHDR9, with a Haes Modem on site. I have the software on my laptop. It dials no problem verifies the user password etc. It them says connected ok then comes up site name and timed out, disconnecting. I have just tried connecting my laptop direct into the back of the DVR using the lang connection to get it to work as if its on a network but as soon as I click the site it says operation timed out. I would guess it has to be something on the laptop stopping it working but what? I am running XP Home with all virus software & firewall disconnected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am pulling my hair out here. ( What I have left of it anyway lol)

cheers Kev

Make sure you havent got the Windows XP internal firewall turned on. Right click your connection and click properties, then the advanced firewall tab and click it off!

Tried that Dale. Still no joy. It has to be something on my laptop. As tried connecting a crossover lead direct into the DVR but now comes instantly when trying to connect as connection timed out. VCL are stumped as well. Going to try it on another PC tonight and see if that makes any difference. But any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to get this up and running by the weekend.

cheers Kev

Make sure your PC aint set to use the same IP address as the DVR as this can cause problems. So I would imagine the DVR is set to 192.168.0.1 (or something similar), so best to set the ip address ofyour laptop to 192.168.100.10, then it shouldnt interfere with the system. Your laptop may be set to DHCP (most are), whereby when you turn the laptop on at home to connect to the internet you are assigned an IP address from the DHCP server. In which case you will have to manualy assign an IP address. This would explain why the connection times out almost instantly as if the laptop cannot find a DHCP server it will be assigned an internal loop-back address of 127.0.0.1, or 169.127.0.1. You can check the IP address of your laptop at any time by calling up a command prompt and typing ipconfig, this will display all connection data.

So:

1: Check to see if your using DHCP, if so switch to fixed IP address, this is all set in connections dialogue, right click your LAN connection and goto properties then click on TCP/IP, then Properties and make sure you give yourself an IP address, and subnet mask (255.255.255.0) your gateway will be the IP address of your router/gateway.

2: Try pinging the DVR, get a command prompt up and type ping <IP address of DVR>. You should get a reply showing there is a physical data connection.

3: Look at the running programs on your PC, and see what is taking up most of the CPU time, packet filtering programs (firewall) tend to use a fair bit of CPU time so are easy to spot, if you can see something that looks like its eating CPU time and it has a name like Truevector Monitoring then end the task. If it looks like its an important service (like explorer.exe) then leave it running.

Hope this helps..

D

Dale, are you able to take a call from me? If so could you pm me you contact no and I will give you a call. I acnt find where to change the ip address on the laptop. I can ping the dvr but it comes up as 100% lost.

cheers Kev

There is a physical data connection there and you can ping the DVR and you have no security software running so it must be the VCL software or something strange happening with the laptop. But give me a bell if you have any more issues you think are related to the laptop.

D

Take a look at your connection settings. Make sure it's set to 'Always dial my default connection' and not 'Never dial a connection'. I'm on win2000 so XP might call things something else?!

I went up into the attic...I found a Stradavarius & a Picasso. Unfortunately.....

Stradavarius couldn't paint, and Picasso made a shocking fiddle.

My Facebook page...http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1279556853&ref=name

Well it is defo something on the laptop that is stopping it working. The very nice man from Ademco confirmed that by plugging his in and connnecting first time. I also installed the software on another pc and could connect no probs as well. So I am stumped as to what is causing the laptop to time out. Dale any other ideas?

cheers Kev

Archived